After Being Out for 17 Years He is Back In again!!!

by new boy 35 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

I called a guy I haven talked with for over two years yesterday. I met him at Bethel back in the 1970's. David B was known as the G Job king back then. In fact he is still mentioned in the "new boy" talks to this day. The reason being, after he worked a 47 hour work week at Bethel he had another 40 hour a week full time job out side of Bethel.

Pretty amazing when you think about. Not much time for sleep.

He hated Bethel. Like so many back there, he didn't want to leave but really didn't want to stay.

It sounds like many of the posters here. I can't blame them. Sometimes in life many people feel the pain "we know" is better than the pain "they don't know."

No matter how insane our lives maybe, the "unknown" can be a lot more scary!

Anyway he told me he is back "in" Borg. It took him two years to do it but he did.

Wow.... He left over twenty years ago!

I asked him why. He said "world conditions." I said "Dave we were never supposed to have got out of High school over 50 years ago. Armageddon was coming back then!"

He said "I know."

I wanted to talk to him more but really didn't know what to say.

In the end I told him "I bless and honor everyone's spiritual path and wished him the best."

Yes, there as been some tough times in the recent years but I never thought going back to that thought system could be an answer.

It reminded me of the movie "Invasion of the body stanchers." At the end when the guys friend becomes one of the aliens.

P.S. I wonder want the record is for the number of years of being out and returning to the.......

fill in the blank

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    Sad but it happens. I believe some are very lonely and struggle to make connections outside of JW land so they return for the friendships and family. Sad!
  • Hadriel
    Hadriel
    They return for the social support system not because it's true. Let's face it you have a whole social structure handed to you in the org. That's the good part. The bad is that you may die because you're part of it and some doctrine or rule eventually affects you or your family.
  • OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

This is the saddest type of story to me. There was another woman away for 20+ years and went back. Crazy town! They never got rid of the idea that all worldly people are evil so it's confirmed when bad things happen or when they met a few bad eggs. I've been worldly my whole life and can honestly say that's just a part of life. Only a newborn baby has never been through anything and I'm not even sure about that; apparently, being born is something of a trauma.

Comfort over integrity is a choice like any other, I suppose. Sad :(

• sparky1
    sparky1

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

• Simon
    Simon
    They return for the social support system not because it's true. Let's face it you have a whole social structure handed to you in the org.

That's why I think the obsession some have with trying to "prove" the WTS wrong is misguided.

Most people know it's all bollocks or don't really pay that much attention to the doctrine other than to "belong" but they don't care - they are getting their hit of "opium" ... someone saying that everything will be OK. Think about it - if there was someone in your KH that really was "religious" they kind of looked a bit strange and out of place.

Unless someone rocks the boat or a wave comes and hits them, they are quite happy to drift in it and have no reason to leave.

That's why I don't think there will ever be anything but minor variations in their numbers over time as the tide goes in and out, affecting a small number who happen to be in boats in the right spot. Otherwise they just float along and adjust to wherever the WTS changes take them.

Wow, I really went with that boat analogy didn't I?

• the girl next door
    the girl next door
    I agree with what Simon said, although I think more people today are jumping out of the boat and just keeping it within swimming distance. A decade ago someone would jump out of the boat, grab you by your neck and haul you back on board. Not anymore. Most are happy to watch the drifters, some even do so longingly.
  • Giordano
    Giordano

I agree it's the way of life including the socializing that is dominant. However if the Pew survey is accurate then the JW's are losing their born-ins (67%) who stop self identifying as JW's. This might explain, in part, the higher attendance for the Memorial. It becomes family night once a year.

No doubt the internet has a lot to do with these born-ins, higher education with it's critical thinking skills, marrying outside the religion, or by the second or third generation they simply view being a JW as an inconvenience.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    I guess that many of the returnees are those who didn't get the hang of TTATT.
  • Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You all would be surprised at how many JWs inside could not care any less about doctrine, just going through the motions barely in order to keep the social interactions with friends and family.

Tonight's meeting is a drag and boring, but where we all meet afterwards for food and drinks is the real fun deal. It's Friday!!!!😜

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit