At a certain point in time.....

by Giordano 6 Replies latest jw experiences

• Giordano
    Giordano

At a certain point in time, I am sad to say, being a JW may have been my whole life. I knew myself by what others said about me. I was called Brother by hundreds, and it sounded right.

I knew my place and rank in the organization. We were an army of believers and everybody in an army has a place and rank.

My expectations were limited and so they were always fulfilled. I was comfortable with my beliefs because they were absolute, immutable, never changing with time......... or so I thought. I was content............until I wasn’t.

This happened when I was in my very early twenties. I was no longer the 16 year old boy who decided to get Baptized because it was expected. Because my witness friends were getting baptized........... because there was this really cute sister.

I must confess.....I am a reader. “you read too much”...... I was told. But what I read slowly changed me in wondrous ways because knowledge is a good thing to base decisions on. Rational ignorance is the mainstay of most high control religions. It is rational that one doesn't waste time on learning about things that are not tolerated within the belief structure.

So there came a time when I had to admit that the ‘truth’ had become murky, questionable and often embarrassing......to me. All of it's truths were nothing more then speculation. 

I did not learn the truth about the truth for many years. I just knew it wasn’t the truth one day while I was pioneering. I had taken a lunch break on a nice spring day. I parked near the Town’s grammar school. The kids were out in the school yard, it was recess time and they were running, playing.........I remembered my own childhood and how nice it was to be so carefree. Then I thought these very children were going to die when Armageddon came. NO. That was absurd....evil. What did I really believe.....well it wasn’t that. That moment changed it all for me. It was a thread that once pulled........ unraveled everything.

This was decades before the internet, a decade or so before Ray Franz wrote C OF C. I read what I could find and thought it through.

I was not in a rush....... My vessel was not by any means an empty vessel............... it was filled to the brim with murky untruths. So It took a while to bail out a cup of failed truth and replace it with a cup of fresh knowledge. I guess I could have dumped the vessel out but in all honesty what did I have to replace my beliefs with? Also newly married I didn’t want to ask my wife, who was my pioneer partner, to make such an abrupt change.

Avoiding Bethel I had opted to pioneer where the need was great after High School. So eventually I held down three congregation positions and gave the one hour public talk all over our circuit and other circuits. I was never alone when I went off to give my one hour talk....my ego was always with me.

We used to have a general outline back in those times so a speaker had greater latitude. As understanding grew my talk evolved into something that more closely reflected my new sensibility. I skirted anything controversial choosing instead to be kind and uplifting. Looking back it appears that my Ego must not have liked the direction I was taking as it began to shun me.

As my thinking evolved I soon came to a point where I pleaded fatigue and stopped giving the public talk. I did the minimum necessary to avoid stumbling anyone. I also made plans with my wife to relocate. I had told my wife about my change of thinking and she was very supportive.....which was easy for her, as I came to find out that she had never believed in anything the organization called the Truth!

At this point I had come to understand that the WTBTS was reckless with the health, welfare and education of their believers. Armageddon was of no concern but I thought the blood guilt, literally, was on the Society because of the blood doctrine. Because I cared for and greatly liked 99% of the people I knew in the ‘truth’ hanging the blood doctrine over their heads troubled me greatly. Especially at a time when various types of life saving surgeries were not available without blood.

Having made no headway with my sister or mother about our non beliefs......... I decided to remain silent. I was no longer acceptable......I had no real wisdom.......I was now untrustworthy.

Finally there came a time when we needed to leave this 19th century religious nonsense behind along with many friends and family.
    I had stopped believing in nonsense and with my wonderful wife we made our exit.

That was five Decades ago and still ranks as the very best decision we have ever made as every bit of joy and success we experienced........ on all levels.......... would have been virtually impossible if we remained JW'S.

• talesin
    talesin

Gio, I see a song in this story.... glad you escaped. xx t

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for telling your story, it is similar to my own in many ways,except I was decades behind you, but I was similar in producing my own Public Talks, which would not include any doubtful WT thoughts, and eventually I refused to give PT's, as the Outlines were not containing things I could endorse from the Platform.

The Internet helped me of course, but like you, I was lucky that my wife came along with me.

We are both happy like never before !

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GIORDANO:

I enjoyed your life story and eventual exit from the Witness religion with your wife while still at a young age. Priceless.  You are right about it being 19th century religious nonsense.

I was in no way as immersed in it as you were. My place and "rank" was a working single woman. Which is to say I was at rock bottom with few friends. But, who cares? I had less to lose than many others with friends and family. Glad I had no family there because I'd do anything to get them out!

• Magnum
    Magnum

Wow! You were out before I even got baptized!

I just knew it wasn’t the truth one day while I was pioneering. I had taken a lunch break on a nice spring day. I parked near the Town’s grammar school. The kids were out in the school yard, it was recess time and they were running, playing.........I remembered my own childhood and how nice it was to be so carefree. Then I thought these very children were going to die when Armageddon came. NO. That was absurd....evil. What did I really believe.....well it wasn’t that. That moment changed it all for me. It was a thread that once pulled........ unraveled everything.

I think that significant moment came for me while pioneering, also. One day I was working alone door-to-door in a rural area. I was using the "Peaceful New World" tract and explaining the paradise picture on the cover to individuals that I found at home. I was enthusiastically explaining in detail how the people shown in the picture would never grow old and die, they would have beautiful homes, the animals wouldn't kill each other, etc., and then.....

I just listened to myself. It just didn't sound right. For the first time, it just didn't sound right. This was shortly after the 1995 "generation" teaching change. Even though it took me another decade to begin to really wake up, It was never the same after I really heard myself that day, and what I was telling those people really sank in. It just seemed foolish.

• Deleteandrestart
    Deleteandrestart

I too look back and see times when yes , particularly pioneering that I would look at all the people living their normal happy lives and think to myself " but what would the truth do for them? "

In my heart I knew that it would turn there normally happy lives upside down and cause them consternation and that they would be on the treadmill that I was on , and I didn't want to do that to people.....

i felt like Jim Cary in liar liar movie who couldn't tell a lie...... I felt like saying, when knocking on someone's door,

" listen to me and in under six months time you could be as tormented as I am having to report and get your field service hours in and you to could lose most of your free time and you too could experience the guilt fear and obligation I feel "

In my heart I knew these things but it's taken till now to break free and even now I'm only fading.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Thanks for sharing your experience Giordano. I always questioned things-I always DO, still. I don't necessarily like my answers. Its hard to shift your mind once entrenched, but I think that life is a journey and progressing forward doesn't always mean that we leap out of one place to another. It is usually step by step. I'm glad you stepped out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit