NPR with Trey Bundy anyone hear anything from the JW's about it.

by life is to short 3 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• life is to short
    life is to short

I received a call from one of my job's on Saturday who lives in Settle WA, she was driving and listening to NPR and the interview came on, she said she was shocked at how the JW's are dealing with the child abuse problem. She has family who are hard core JW's and was sick that her grandchildren could be affected.

She cannot be the only one who has heard this on NPR. Just wondering if there will be any fall out from it or if like everything else it will all just die down in JW land. I am hoping that this will cause something to happen. The story was so well done even this worldly lady was impressed by Trey.

LITS

• blondie
    blondie

Don't worry about just jw child abusers. Child abusers are everywhere and protected by the organizations they are part of. Pedophiles can be teachers, social workers, priests, ministers, scout leaders, law enforcement, military, doctors, dentists, chiropractors, etc.

The way to fight this abuse is to make the laws stronger.

Make statute of limitations stronger, longer.

Get rid of clergy protections.

Make the laws consistent nationwide, all 50 states in the US.

Only then will the problem of child abuse be more effectively dealt with. If all jw pedophiles disappeared today, the problem would still be here. The safety of all children should be the goal.

• Life is to short 2
    Life is to short 2

Blondie

I am not just worried about JW's and their pedophile problem, please don't think that I am that naive to not understand that it is in all places especially the one's you mentioned. I get that, but in the JW world it has impacted me more than any of the places that you mentioned as it has impacted me severely, not that I am in any way what so ever making being molested by a teacher, boy scouts and all the other horrible and horrific places children are abusedin less important.

I just was wondering if in this case the JW religion has anyone heard of fall out from Trey's story on NPR.

If Trey does a story on teacher's molesting children I might ask the same question about that. I do not mean any disrepect to anyone who's been abused by any one in power over them.

• blondie
    blondie

Impacted more on me too...I was molested by my jf father and my jw mother knew and did nothing. All my siblings were molested and as the oldest I took on the BOE, CO, DO and the service desk and won. My father was privately reproved back in the early 80's. I have no memories of a happy childhood, no loving mother or father. My comments were not directed to you just in general that if the goal is to end or eliminate more of child abuse it has to be done in a more comprehensive way. The articles in 1982 and 1983 were the first that admitted the WTS official position and that it existed in their organization. I did not have much support back then except that I worked in the legal system in government.

There have been news shows on abuse in the WTS in 2002 and other times. jws just chalk it up to lies by Satan's organization unless they have had a personal experience. Even then the WTS tells them not to say anything. My siblings and I were threatened with df'ing when we followed up on it and they were more afraid that my contacts with the courts would be brought to bear. But then the laws were weak and there was not much I could do at the time. Since then the laws have gotten stronger in my state but there is still room for improvement which is where I put my energies....change the laws outside and bring them to bear on the WTS and other organizations. And to be there as a support for individuals who are being pressured not to do the moral thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit