New Light and Update tracking

by jwundubbed 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

Does anyone have a list of all the New Light or GB Updates in order?

Is there a post here that lists all the changes in the organization?

I left about 1996 and I haven't kept up, but it seems like a completely different organization than it was when I was in it. Some similarities, but some major differences as well.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

You are out and a mass amount has changed, don't worry about it...you are still right to get out. Nothing ever will get you back in,

The changes since 2012 since I left have been astonishing.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@notsurewheretogo

I don't want to go back in. That has nothing to do with why I asked.

It seems like a lot of work to me, but I think there are a lot of xJW nerds (this is a compliment) in the world and I am assuming someone has made a list somewhere.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Unfortunately, the church is still a high control, isolationist, fear mongering sect. The changes are cosmetic, some born of legal necessity, some because of modernization like all churches, some the result of change in personnel at the top.

• jwundubbed
    jwundubbed

@peacefulpete

I'm not sure what your answer has to do with my question. I agree that it is as it has always been. I'm still curious about the changes and having a list of them... either since 1996 or since the beginning.

• cult classic
    cult classic

jwfacts.com - has a section for the various changes in the organization.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Sorry, I was responding out of misplaced concern.

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

a cool belief clarified

2 As those Bible students soon found out, however, it can be one thing to learn what the Bible teaches about a certain doctrinal subject but quite another to discern correctly the meaning of a Bible prophecy.

locust plague (Joe 1, 2): w20.04 2-7

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200277174?q=clarified&p=doc

• was a new boy
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Book of Joel:

J. William Whedbee writes: "The very features that unify the book efface and blur the traces of compositional history. The theory once dominant among biblical scholars of two stages of composition, which argued that a prophetic response to a locust plague was later expanded by apocalyptic editors, is now passé. Most would still allow for a complex history of the book's composition, but interpreters are increasingly content to posit a postexilic date for the final form of the book without delineating clear-cut stages of development. Even the evidence for dating is entirely circumstantial: there is no sign of a king, and the leadership is in the hands of elders; Israel is scattered among the nations (3:2); the Temple, with its priesthood and ritual, are at the center of the community's life (1:9, 13; 2:14); the community is apparently small (2:16); Phoenicians and Greeks, not Assyrians and Babylonians, are active in slave trading (3:6). All such clues point to a probable postexilic date (ca. 500-350 B.C.)." (Harper's Bible Commentary, pp. 716-717)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit