Review of Dr. Chryssides' new book on Jehovah's Witnesses

by Old Goat 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks Barb

I love reading historical info from different perspectives because it goes to show how complex life and culture is.

examples are that there are the many different veiwpoints about Jehovah's witnesses during the Nazi era. Some historians say like met like - JW totalitarianism met Nazi totalitarianism. Others say Rutherford was deliberately provocative,still others that Rutherford at first tried to curry favour with the Nazi's while Chryssides in another article he has written himself thinks Witnesses were being opportunistic.

The pre and post world war 1 eras are particularly controversial and the book A separate identity pieces together an amazing portrait of Russell and the period.

I think all views need to be taken on board but I think favouring one side over another is part and parcel of being human

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ruby456 - "... Some historians say like met like - JW totalitarianism met Nazi totalitarianism. Others say Rutherford was deliberately provocative,still others that Rutherford at first tried to curry favour with the Nazi's while Chryssides in another article he has written himself thinks Witnesses were being opportunistic..."

Probably a combination of all of them, to varying degrees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit