My Guitar, My Friend

by Tallon 36 Replies latest social entertainment

• JRK
    JRK

My one past guitar that I most regret giving up:

A Rickenbacker 12-string solid body. It was long ago.

That I would start a gofundme site for!

Alas, Ayn Rand is not in favor of this, in fact she is a self-absorbed cunt! I guess Atlas Shrugged.

JK

• James Brown
    James Brown

I love guitars. I know I have 50. I might have 60. I haven't counted them in a while. I got all kinds Rickenbackers, Les Paul's, SG, Firebird. Lots of fenders. Gretsch. Ibanez's, Takamine. Peavey, Burns. Epiphone, Lots of bass guitars. Hoffner.

If I had to get rid of them all and go down to one. It would be a fender Stratocaster. I have a lot and have built a few. Very Sturdy they can take a beating not like a Gibson or a Rickenbacker. You drop a Gibson or a Rickenbacker you can spend a thousand dollars getting the neck repaired. If you drop a fender probably nothing will happen and if you do ruin the neck you can buy a new one for one hundred dollars on eBay.

Hendrix played a strat Beck and Clapton play strats. Satriani played a strat before he got sponsored by Ibanez. Ibanezes are very good guitars also. My latest acquisition was a Fender Flea Jazz bass.

Before that a Gretsch electromatic hollow body .

I try to play for an hour a day. I have a lot of recording equipment. I will record all the side instruments and then record vocal and lead guitar to all kinds of songs. Any song that catches my fancy.

And then I have a library of 100's of rock classics that I can go over whenever I want.

I make the recording and leave the lead guitar and vocal off. Then I can jam out on any song that I am in the mood for.

Or if I get a gig. I have 100's of rock songs already recorded and I can just pull up the tracks and refresh myself on my parts.

I used to play a lot of gigs in my 20's thru 60's but Now that I am retired and don't need the money, I spend more time playing soccer. Soccer is less aggravating more peaceful and less stressful.

Playing music is peaceful and relaxing but playing music for money is more stressful than soccer.

At least that is how it has been for me for the last few years.

If you have a band you got to have 3 or 4 drummers and 3 or 4 bass players.

Then I sing and play guitar.

Or I just advertise my services on Craig's list. And be a hired gun and let somebody else have the stress.

• flipper
    flipper

TALLON- Nice poem about your guitar. Very nice. My main guitar is a Yamaha steel string from the early 1970's. Has a sweet sound to it. Music is a healer and in writing songs I've also discovered much healing as well within myself. There's nothing like just picking and strumming and experimenting around with different chords until you find a cool combination of chords that brings that healing sound. It's like when it hits you know !

Like having an " aha " moment ! Coolest feeling ever. Keep on playing everybody ! Enjoy ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    If you have a band you got to have 3 or 4 drummers and 3 or 4 bass players

That's one hell of band. I have drummed in many bands as the solo drummer, usually with one bass player, never two, and never another drummer except for maybe a little percussion added here or there by the guy with little to do, often the guy on keys or another guitarist. Nearly all the bands I listen to have one drummer and one bass player.

• James Brown
    James Brown
    If you have a band you got to have 3 or 4 drummers and 3 or 4 bass players

That's one hell of band. I have drummed in many bands as the solo drummer, usually with one bass player, never two, and never another drummer except for maybe a little percussion added here or there by the guy with little to do, often the guy on keys or another guitarist. Nearly all the bands I listen to have one drummer and one bass player

I have to say you haven't spent much time in the trenches. Or in fact you are a drummer. One who hangs out with musicians.

You don't have 3 or 4 drummers and 3 or 4 bass players at the same gig. You have a rolodex of musicians who can fill in. You only have 1 drummer and one bass player at a show.

I have never been in a successful money making band that only had 1 drummer.

And I have been playing since the beatles came out.

There have been bands like the grateful dead and alman brothers that would show up with 2 drummers. I guess they figured having 2 one would always show up and be there.

If it is a successful band the person or management running it. Has back ups for everybody.

I guess what I am saying is of all the people that hang out with musicians. Drummers are the least reliable for various reasons. And you need to have a number of them in your rolodex if you want your band to be known as a dependable band that doesn't cancel gigs.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I myself am the second bass player in a popular local band.

When the first bass player has another gig or commitment they call me.

And I slide right in singing and playing with no practice.

I have a folder with all their songs and they use me once or twice a month.

And in that band which I have been playing with for over 20 years. There are probably 10 drummers and 5 bass players that I know of.

I have 5 local bands that I fill in for. From singing, playing guitar or bass sometimes even keyboards.

• Tallon
    Tallon

Thanks for posting folks.

I only have two guitars; my Tanglewood TW1000 Heritage and a Classical guitar. I tried an electric guitar but struggled playing fast arpeggios, so now I stick to my trusty acoustic and all those fancy chords.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I have to say you haven't spent much time in the trenches. Or in fact you are a drummer. One who hangs out with musicians.

Not very long 'in the trenches'. Just long enough to hear that drummer joke 5000+ times. Thankfully I have a job.

You don't have 3 or 4 drummers and 3 or 4 bass players at the same gig. You have a rolodex of musicians who can fill in. You only have 1 drummer and one bass player at a show.

I have never been in a successful money making band that only had 1 drummer.

So.... Not so much a band, more a solo project with some hired help with a view of making some money.

IMO, if your bass player and drummer are consistently not showing up, you are in a shit band.... That's the whole point of the band.

Since the Beatles have been around, there have been countless bands who have had kept the same members, and had great success. If you gauge music quality on the ability turn artistic expression into $$.... We could list some of the great rhythm sections we have had in rock music since the Beatles...... that would take some time.

guess what I am saying is of all the people that hang out with musicians. Drummers are the least reliable for various reasons.

Thats a good one! Lol! Hangs out with musicians...... Did you hear about the drummer who finished highschool????? Tell me about it!!!

And you need to have a number of them in your rolodex if you want your band to be known as a dependable band that doesn't cancel gigs.

Once again, I am not sure you are making a point other than you have never played with a reliable drummer, the kind that makes a dependable and stable band.

• James Brown
    James Brown

http://blogcritics.org/the-beatles-many-drummers/

The beatles had at least 6 drummers.

They had 4 drummers while they had Ringo.

They replaced Ringo for one major tour.

The movie spinal tap is a parody of the rock and roll music business. They had 10 drummers in spinal tap.

In my most successful band During the course of 1 year playing every weekend and sometimes 3 days a week. We used 6 drummers and 3 singers.

The bass player, me, and 2 guitarist played every show. We all had steady day jobs except for 5 of the drummers.

In a 50 year music career from the time I was 13 to now age 63. Every band I have been in has always had multiple drummers.

I don't think any band want's to have more than one drummer.

It is just the nature of the beast.

To have a band you have to have several people that can make music. When you loose them you loose the band. And then after you have people that can make the music. You need someone who can keep a beat.

A band can replace a drummer on the fly. You can't do that with a guitarist, bassist or singer.

I have my own recording studio. I can listen to any song and sit down and play the drums right after listening to the song.

You can't do that with the guitar or bass. It might take hours to copy a guitar solo or bass part.

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5
    I have my own recording studio. I can listen to any song and sit down and play the drums right after listening to the song

Holy shit!! I had no idea you were this good. I would love to be able to do that.

I am sure however you were speaking out of your arse, and in fact you couldn't come close to covering anything remotely similar to what is in "any song".

Honestly, how full of shit can someone get??

Calling it a gross exaggeration wouldn't really cover it, that's why I chose even stronger language.....full of shit. It's a bullshit frenzy.

Try these few songs off the top of my head.

Led Zeppelin - Good times, Bad times.

Jeff Buckley - Dream Brother.

If these are too easy, there are many more songs that require more advanced technique. I just like these two artists and these songs are a supreme demonstration of thier superb musicianship.

It's an art form that you've clearly shown you have absolutley no appreciation for.

Remember..... Only one listen, and no cheating on the Bonham cover, he used a single kick I expect the same from you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit