Pow Wow

by AuSet 1 Replies latest jw friends

• AuSet
    AuSet

Today I attended a Native American Pow Wow for the first time in my life. I live in an area that is highly populated by native people, and in fact my most of my congregation's territory was within the boundaries of a reservation. I often wondered why we would spend so much time and effort trying to convert people who were obviously satisfied with their beliefs. To this day, the congregation is still composed of about 98% non-native people, and they still waste hundreds of hours a month trying to convert those "heathen indians."
    The pow wow I attended today was in an auditorium that has been used in the past for circuit assemblies. I was amazed at the diversity of sound, light, and color,...it was a feast for the senses. No bland dark suits and chaste dresses. I could not help but be sucked inside of the drum beating and the singing of varied voices. No monotonous Kingdom Melodies. The young, the old, handicapped persons, costumed or uncostumed, and people of all skin colors danced freestyle around the circle. Instead of being asked to make a donation to further the society's work, two persons approaced me and gave me presents just before the give-away dance. True brotherly love!
    Even though I am not a Native American, I wish to say thank you to these wonderful people who have converted me without a word, to a true spirituality that resides within myself, and not in a book or magazine. MiGwitch!!

• COMF
    COMF

It sounds delightful. I would love to have been able to attend, too. Good contrasts! Thanks for sharing.

COMF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit