Hello To Everyone.

by shamus 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• shamus
    shamus

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. As I am new here, I have lots of questions for all of you, but will hopefully have them answered over the next few weeks. (?)

Anyways, I was in the truth for many years, and suffered horribly from depression. The truth did not cause my depression, but was, I believe, the reason why I went to the witnesses. I was lead to believe, by my own thoughts, that the only way to be happy was to be in the truth.

HA.

The only thing that I saw was a bunch of people who could not get along with anyone - with terrible divisions in their ranks, non-stop criticizing, and making me feel MORE guilty. It took years to leave, and I don't regret it one bit. The emotional damage done to me was horrible. Also, there were a lot of real weirdos in the truth, ones whom would be beyond belief. I am talking about psychotic people who needed medical attention - ones who needed drugs to correct their chemical imbalances, such as mine. Well, they just waited for the NWO, and lived like freaks.

How many people have noticed the same things as me?

Also, although hating the people in the truth, I would never protest, or freak out at the witnesses like the weirdos do at district conventions. Are there people who do that here?

Thanks for your help, any replies appreciated.

Bri.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

(((((((((( Shamus ))))))))))

Welcome! Good to have you here.

I agree with you about mentally unbalanced people in the organization. My step-father was manic depressive bi-polar, and I think he liked the idea of structure that the jw's brought to his life. He also liked he whole headship thing, that way he always got his way by saying it was Jehovah's will. I think a lot of depressed people are drawn to the org. because it gives them hope for something better, a time when they can be perfect and feel good about things. Unfortunately these same ones that think it will be a haven, find it is a hell, because then they feel guilty about not doing enough,etc.

Anyway, glad to have you here, and I look foward to your future posts!

• JamesThomas
  • dmouse
    dmouse

Hi Shamus, and welcome to the board

Personally, I don't hate people 'in the truth' as you put it. I see them as victims, they can't help what they do; and I have met many wonderful people who are still JWs. What I hate is the religious system that keeps them ensnared so that they are unable to live normal lives, doing normal things; every facet of their lives controlled through 'suggestions' from a handful of senile crackpots in Brooklyn.

I too saw the hypocrisy, the power hungry elders, the control by guilt, and back-biting brothers and sisters. But being one of them at the time I didn't get depressed because I thought it was just our congregation, and Jehovah would sort it out in his own time.

I don't protest outside assembly halls. I even welcome my old friends from the hall when they visit, not bringing up religion unless they mention it. The way I see it is that they have a right to their opinions without me trying to convert them every chance I get. Besides, don't we find that over zealous proselytizing irritating from them?

I did get depressed just before I left, because I realised I had been living a lie all of my life and that I was not going to live forever at all and there was no hope to end mankind's suffering.

I feel much better now, though.

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

So glad you could join us.

Once your on this board for a while you'll realize you are not alone in your observations of the dubs

I was lead to believe, by my own thoughts, that the only way to be happy was to be in the truth.

That is so, true, they usually go after the weak ones at the door that need the support they are willing to give at the time just to draw you in, once your in, and then start having problems later on, they drop you like a hot potato.

And Freaks.

Glad to have you here.

cj

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

HOWDYDIDDILLY, SHAMUS!

Spanner

• shamus
    shamus

Oh Wow!

Thank you all for replying so quick, and so many of you!!

I am LMAO about the comments on how our lives are controlled by some crackpots in Brooklyn - how true. I just can't believe that there are so many people out here, like me. Thank goodness! I am so thankful.

And how about when they drop you like a hot potatoe when you start having problems - HOW TRUE! I just can't believe those people, how they not only treated me, but other people.

AND THE CRACKPOTS! The weirdos! Oh my goodness - there was one guy who told me he did not watch star trek because he thought that deanna troy was SEXY, and he felt the urge to mastrubate! FREAK! And, the guy who studied with me, who told me all about his problems with mastrubation. (yes, everyone does it, but you don't talk about that with a study!)

I guess that I have a lot of stories to tell - won't ramble on here. Thanks again for your replies. What a strange world I once belonged to... indeed, we all did!

• Prisca
    Prisca

From one freak to another - welcome!

• Latte
    Latte

Welcome Shamus!

WOW! So true, what you highlighted here……..

The only thing that I saw was a bunch of people who could not get along with anyone - with terrible divisions in their ranks, non-stop criticizing, and making me feel MORE guilty. ……. Also, there were a lot of real weirdos in the truth, ones whom would be beyond belief.

The judging, and criticizing really got me down towards the end, I almost skipped out of my last meeting…lol

I hope that you are feeling much better these days - now that you are out. There are some wonderful people who post on this board, I really hope that you stick around.

• shamus
    shamus

- It just makes me so sad to hear how you poor people have been victimized, just like I. I was not sexually abused, though, and my thoughts go out to each and every one of you who stood up to this horrible, HORRIBLE organization and marched, so all the world could hear. You are the bravest people whom I know, and it is my privlege to read your posts, and hear your stories of strength.

Thank you all for your replies. I will stick around. I just can't believe that this place exists.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit