Jesus could not have died on Friday Nisan 14

by Hacche 1 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hacche
    Hacche

Watchtower 12/15 2001

On Nisan 14 (about April 1), 33 C.E., Jesus was arrested, tried, sentenced, and executed on the false charge of sedition. (Matthew 26:18-20, 48–27:50).

Another reason that Jesus trial before Pontius Pilate and his being nailed to the stake or cross was not on the same day, as Watchtower teach, is found in two scriptures:

John 19:14 says, Now it was the day of preparation of the Passover; it was about the SIXTH hour. And he said to the Jews: See your King.

Now look at Mark 15:33 which says, When it became the SIXTH hour, a darkness fell over all the land until the ninth hour.

In both of these scriptures it mentions the SIXTH hour. John says, Jesus was on trial before Pontius Pilate at the SIXTH hour (12 noon). Mark says, that Jesus was on the the stake or cross at the SIXTH hour (12 noon). JW.org and their New World Translation, confirms that the SIXTH hour mentioned in both events was 12 noon.

My question is this, how can both events be on the same day Friday Nisan 14 as Watchtower teach? Clearly, these two events had to happen on 2 separate days.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 says, but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good.

1 John 4:1 says, Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 says, Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Galatians 4:16 says, Have I now become your enemy because I am telling you the truth?

• myelaine
    myelaine

It's helpful to acknowledge the Israelite calendar when placing the crucifixion on a specific timeline. There is more than one Sabbath during the Passover/Unleavened Bread feast and it seems it's not the weekly Sabbath that was spoken of in the text. You'll notice that this timeline uses both systems of counting the days, midnight to midnight and sunset to sunset. Portions of these days constitute the biblical 3 days and three nights.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit