A quote from wt literature that I liked

by Drue 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Drue
    Drue

While the Society have certainly printed much regrettable material I believe it is fair to admit that there was fine material too – as was noted by other posters in different threads almost all of us were initially attracted to JWs and I trust it often was because of good stuff printed.

One quote from the Commentary on the Letter of James I found appealing:

Discussing James 3:17 the book says:

The wisdom from above makes a person reasonable, yielding, moderate or forbearing, not fanatical in his zeal . (Phil. 4:5; 1 Tim. 3:3; Titus 3:2) Saul (Paul), directed by worldly wisdom, was mislead by unreasoning fanaticism before he became a Christian. (Acts 9:1, 2; Gal. 1:13,14) Unlike Saul, the reasonable person will not insist on his way or on the letter of the law, but will look at a matter kindly, considerately and Scripturally, making effort to reason out the matter as Christ would.

The reasonable teacher will not be dogmatic. […] A teacher recognizes that disciples, from the beginning of their Christian course, have many ideas, habits and customs that are not fully right. But they will change these habits when their hearts and consciences see clearly that they need to change. It is primarily God’s spirit that has to induce them to make the change – not the teacher . If the one taught changes because his teacher says he must, instead of being motivated from the heart by the scriptures, this will be of no value to him, because he is following, not God’s Word and spirit, but a man.

Therefore, a good teacher will never lay down his own rules or regulations. He will let the Scriptures be the guide, with changes in their personality and ways being made by learners as they come to a clear understanding.

Guess that by these standards the life courses of many JWs are ‘of no value to them’ since they are merely following what the WT (human fallible teacher) tells them. In other publications the JWs are actually encouraged to do just that – to ‘trust’ the earthly organisation and carry out what it tells them, even if they do not exactly understand why they have to believe or do this or that. The commentary was released in 1979. Ed Dunlap, who wrote it, was soon disfellowshipped for apostasy, but the book continued to be published.

Fred Hall, this is for you: if you believe Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 BCE you are merely following a human teacher (since noone outside that human teacher could show that 607 is a biblically valid date). This is of no value according to the Society’s publication above quoted. Also, according to the principle there is no use in the Society’s forcing me to accept that date, since even if I do, this will not be because I’d be following… God’s Word and spirit, but a man’.

Dru

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Drue,

Do you think Jerusalem was destroyed in 586 BCE? Then you are following a human teacher. Plus, 607 and 1914 have nothing to do with my relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. It to bad you have no relationship with them at all.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

Hi Fredster.....the fred meister...fredem up.... fredarama.....

whats all this fuss about fred?

"Plus, 607 and 1914 have nothing to do with my relationship with Jehovah and Jesus."

and JWS have nothing to do with that realtionship either........
    do they FRED.....

its between you and the two mentioned........

careful fred..your starting to turn...........

*S*

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Stephenw20,

If you and others are building a relationship with God for dates, then you guys are up the creek.

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

fred,
    I ilke the outdoors.........its ok.................my reference was to yours...dates mean nothing to me......

I want an answer frederico

does the JWS have any thing to do with the realtionship.....or not....

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Isn't the _Commentary on James_ some of Ray Franz' work? And isn't it now considered one of the 'suspect apostate infiltrations' that were rumored to have stemmed from the Bethel Apostasy? Dang now I'll have to go search-crawling until I can find that bit of gossip again to verify... unless one of you research geniuses can help me sort it out.

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi Mommie Dark:

I checked 'Crisis of Conscience' as I remember reading about the writing of the 'Comm. on James' there.

Ray Franz's part in the Commentary of James was that he was assigned by Fred Franz to oversee the project's development. It was written by Ed Dunlap who also was df'd (at 72 years of age) about a year after Ray and his wife left Borg.

He also was a very Bible-knowledgeable man who loved presenting the Bible teachings in an honest and straight-forward way...no doublespeak.

Had Enough

Fred Franz objected to several areas of Ed Dunlaps honest explanation of James

• Drue
    Drue

In Crisis of Conscience Ray Franz says that the commentary was penned by Ed Dunlop. The information on pages 99-102 were a replacement of Dunlop’s material written by Ray Franz so that Fred Franz’s objections to what Dunlop wrote were met. Ray’s rewrite was approved by the GB committee and published.

Also, had_enough, I might be mixing the meaning of the word ‘Borg’ but I thought Ed was dfd in the spring of 1980, while Ray resigned from the GB about that time, but still remained in the organisation. He was disfellowshipped December 31 1981, thus more than a year after Dunlop’s expulsion.

Just my 2 kopecks

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster
    If you and others are building a relationship with God for dates, then you guys are up the creek.

Just like the Witnesses?

. o O (slipnslidemaster)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit