Tax question for any uk posters

by toddy 7 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

My mates last wage slip was different this month,he seems to be paying more tax than usual,so he went and asked the boss and was told that the whole country is on emergency tax at the moment so we are all paying more and should recieve a rebate in the future,he's been with the company for over 10 years so it's not as if he's a new employee who always start off on emergency tax.

Iv'e never heard anything like this before? is something dodgy going on

• Matty
    Matty

You only go on emergency tax when your present employer hasn't received your P45 from your last job. It sounds like his payroll department has messed up big time!

• ballistic
    ballistic

I am not on emergency tax - also that would have made headlines toddy.

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

Hi Toddy

The normal tax code is 461L which equals 4615 tax free pay per year. He should be on this code from the 6 April, its nonsense to say that the whole country is on emergency code, I run payrolls each week for my clients, and I certainly don't have anyone on emergency code.

It seems like the payroll dept have got it wrong, unless of course, the Inland Revenue have notified him of a different tax code.

He will eventually get back any overpaid tax, but if it takes them weeks to sort it out, then your pockets could be empty !

Twink

• toddy
    toddy

Thanks all,i'll have to ask a few more questions..

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

This is an e mail I got we got at work the other day:

We will shortly be issuing the payslips for those being paid on the 17th April 2003, and employees may notice a difference to their net pay. This is due to new PAYE legislation being introduced for the tax year 2003/2004.

National Insurance Contributions

The basic rate of National Insurance has risen from 10% to 11%. The Inland Revenue have also made changes to the Upper Earnings Limit for contributions. Previously the maximum amount that an employee could pay was £215.00 based upon an Upper Earnings Limit of £2535.00 per month. Earnings over this amount did not attract National Insurance for employees. The new legislation raises the Upper Earnings limit to £2579 per month, but introduces a 1% charge on all earnings over this sum. Therefore all employees will see a difference to their payments, with some being affected more than others due to this new legislation.

Income Tax - Tax Credits

In April 2003 Working Families' Tax Credit (WFTC), Disabled Person's Tax Credit (DPTC) and the Children's Tax Credit will be replaced by two new tax credits. These will be called Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit. To receive these tax credits you need to claim using the new tax credit claim form (TC600). Alternatively, you can visit the Inland Revenue website (<

www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk >) to make a claim on-line or to get further information. Existing WFTC or DPTC customers, are likely to qualify for the new tax credits and should already have received a claim form through the post. Those employees who received a Children's Tax Credit in 2002/2003 received this as an allowance through their PAYE code numbers, and by now you should have received a new coding notice for 2003/04. You will have noticed that Children's Tax Credit allowance has disappeared. This will result in higher tax deductions from your salary payments from April 2003 onwards. This is because the Child Tax Credit will, from April 2003, be paid directly to the person in the family mainly responsible for looking after the children. If you have not been advised of your new PAYE code number, or your tax credit amount then please contact the Inland Revenue on 0845 300 3900. Please note that payments for the Working Tax Credit, which are paid through the payroll, are effective from the 18th May 2003, and as this is a daily payment employees will only receive a part month payment in May 2003. If you have any questions regarding payment up to this date please contact the Inland Revenue on 0845 300 3900.

• scotsman
    scotsman

I run payroll for my staff and this part of the country certainly isn't on Emergency codes. It's more likely to do with the hike in Nat Ins which the war in Iraq nicely obscured.

• Simon
    Simon

They have also resurrected a 1930's tax law which can affect married couples who run their own business. Some people have suddenly received tax bills for £45,000 + backdated over the last 6 years

They are bastards. We pay for their waste.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit