Getting rid of old Watchtower books.

by I quit! 6 Replies latest jw friends

• I quit!
    I quit!

Anyone in the Orange County or LA area want some old Watchtower books that I want to get rid of. I bought them when I first left the tower to look things up. They've been sitting around garages or my shed for 30 plus years. I'm moving soon and can't be bothered moving them. Several copies are signed by Jehovah himself. (Kidding of course) Anyway if anyone wants them they can have them. I took a photo of them but didn't know if I could post it here. One is from the early 19th century others from the 1930s and 40s.

• skin
    skin

Witnesses themselves are now discouraged from owning these other publication's. I was pressured to destroy my good sized library of books i had saved since the 80's by Witnesses.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

My sister and my mom never seem to discard any of their WT books. I've seen books of my mother from the 1950s and possibly some from the 1940s. Her mother and step-father (who was an elder for many years) retained their old WT books and my mom has inherited them. Those WT books (from my mom's JW parents) go back to the 1930s. I think my sister and my mom think that all WT books are too holy/precious to discard, even if they haven't read any of them in decades.

For a period of time I considered WT books dated to prior to 1965 to be desirable books (due to me having been a very active JW) and thus to me they were collectibles, and thus important additions to my personal library. I found most of the books at two thrift stores (after I ceased being active as a JW). I purchased the books from those stores (and on eBay I purchased other WT books), including all 7 volumes of Studies in the Scriptures. I thought it was so "cool" to find and collect those old books and fascinating to look at them. But after I read considerable sections of all of them my appreciation for most of them greatly diminished. The very old books (with copyright dates ranging from about 1885 to 1965) had many strange teachings (most of which are no longer taught by the WT). To me, many of the books by Rutherford were very offensive to read. Reading the content of many of the books was also boring to me. As a result I eventually sold (on eBay at nice profits) most of the pre-1965 WT books which I had collected, as well a number of later WT books.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I can't be bothered trying to sell them so I'll probably wind up taking them to a Goodwill drop off along with all the other crap I'm getting rid of.

A few years ago, my wife through away all of her old magazines and bound volumes and older books. I'm sure she was directed to by Watchtower.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i'm sure someone will be grateful. Fuel for a fire to keep warm this winter

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The pre 1940 books are really hard to find any more, and there is a market for them. Its a lot of trouble to navigate ebay, etc, but maybe you could give them to some needy soul who could then turn around and make a few bucks.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Stan, That's how I got rid of a lot of Watchtower crap years ago. It felt pretty good watching them go up in flames.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit