Possible Military Coup in Turkey!

by cofty 39 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

If this does turn out to be the case it could have very serious implications...

Turkey hovers between western freedom and democracy and an Islamic hell. Europe has been bending over backwards to keep Turkey on-side and promising it fast-tracked entry to the EU in return for it's cooperation in controlling mass migration from the east.

The situation is unclear at the moment but there are tanks on the streets...

• freemindfade
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Not good
  • sir82
    sir82

Ugh.

Instability in the world, especially that close to Syria, just bumps up the possibility of fearmonger Trump actually winning.

Time to start looking for a deserted island to move to.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

This is a devastating blow to the West's fight against ISIS. Instability will produce an opening for ISIS to move into parts of Turkey and it will seriously curtail the US ability to launch attacks in Syria.

The immense ramifications of this coup are hard to overstate.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

It looks like the military have taken over the airport and the national TV station. Classic coup tactics. What next? The dubs will be in overdrive trying to bend prophecies.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Oh dear this is bad news.

it will seriously curtail the US ability to launch attacks in Syria. - Coded logic

Do you think the US should be launching attacks on Syria? If so why?

• cofty
    cofty
    The immense ramifications of this coup are hard to overstate

I agree. I think we need to wait and see the political sympathies of the military leaders. President Erdogan is a dangerous man. Turkey was complicit in the sale of ISIS controlled oil and the safe passage of ISIS volunteers from Europe to Syria.

There is a statement just out a few minutes ago that the coup is in the name of secularism.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

It seems that the military have always been a force for secularism whilst Erdogan has been pursuing the Islamist path. Much of the instability has been protest against this. The coup may be a good thing in the long run.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I would wait and see. It might not be as bad as we fear. Turkey is an unusual place where the army is essentially given the duty of protecting the secular nature of the state if it seems like a religious theocracy is taking too much of a hold. The whole creation of the republic under Ataturk set the benchmark and he and his approach is still revered greatly.

There is of course a greater risk of attention being deflected from control of the border with Syria and the Kurds may see an opportunity to further their ends in the area but I suspect whoever is doing this is looking to swing the pendulum back towards democracy and secularism. Keeping the West onside and minimising risk of decreased security in the south east would seem key to that aim.

Of course we will see what transpires...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit