Is it true? Heard a rumor WT postphones Disfellowshipping until further notice!!??

by Olivia Wilde 56 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

The day that happens, is the day that you will see a mass exodus from the borg.

of biblical magnitude.

• Truthexplorer
    Truthexplorer
    The internet spotlight continues to focus on everything Watchtower does. The heat is on. The WT leadership will likely be taking advice (as we speak) from paid strategists, and worm their way to a more mainstream religious organisation. It would not surprise me in the least if WT start getting rid of the very things that 'portray' them as a high control religion.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Im at the meeting now and can state this isnt true. Return to your regular sceduled shunning.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    Morpheus I wouldn't go back even if threatened at gun point and I mean that! So what I said is not out of wishful thinking just an observation.
  • cognac
    cognac

Truth - Do you know how much backlash they'd get if they stopped shunning? All those people who shunned their parents, kids, sisters, brothers, etc, etc, etc. for years and even decades...

They'd go f*cking ballistic. They are in way to deep at this point to reverse it.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100
    They would not seek out those that are already disfellowshiped and at the same time they could discourage new disfellowship procedures. They could still publicly humiliate the unruly through public reproof and maybe some of the former hard nosed ones who have been out a long time would seek reinstatement and after a while, they would be viewed almost like Catholics and say "we don't burn unbelievers anymore we just strongly rebuke them!". Makes perfect sense to me. All I am saying it's possible.
  • neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Heyyy . . . what if . . . they reversed the policy and said that disfellowdhipped and disassociated ones should be welcomed . . . and then reversed it a few months later, after many finally felt free to leave without repercussions. Kind of like a trap? It would strengthen the ranks, smaller but stronger.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I could see them gradually turning disfellowshipping into an unwritten rule to reduce litigation. The Watchtower's expectations don't have to be spelled out to be quietly enforced through peer pressure. Aren't weaker members already 'semi-shunned'?

Also, even if they did this, there wouldn't be a clear explanation or announcement of "no more shunning" that would shock people to their senses. There would most likely be a convoluted legalese "refinement" of their understanding, written by the legal department, that no one would fully understand or be able to explain. Leaving the door open for further "refinement" in the future. Similar to the overlapping generations explanation.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It would probably never happen.

BUT, what IS also happening is an increasing use of "quiet whisperings" and the creating of suspicion and gossip about "questionable" members of the congregations.

You know what I mean? Elders dropping comments to "key" gossipers who spread the message that "so and so" should be avoided and not associated with...

So they are fuelling an unwritten and unsaid form of avoidance....

• lsw1961
    lsw1961

JWs have different policy in the countries where their work is banned. In some of the Gulf Countries, elders give a very mild reproof to the offender (but of course disfellowshipping if it were in another country which is not under ban). This is at the larger interest of the organization as this creates no disfellowshipped persons to take revenge on the group by leaking information to the Secular Authorities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit