Witness fancy dress party huge fails!

by Witness 007 7 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

So some special pioneers in our cong thought it would be awesome to spice up our boring country town lives with a Witness fancy dress party!! Wow what could go wrong? It was 1993 well one pioneer wanted to out do every one so he turned up in drag as a ballerina in full bad make up...some had costumes with guns swords knives...I mean a cowboy does not have a Watchtower in his holster! Well it all went to hell even though one Elder came dressed as a king. NO MORE FANCY DRESS EVER. One brother years later dressed as Elvis and sang some hits...no longer a Servant privileges revoked. What a horrid control freak life.

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I knew JW husband and wife that threw a"murder mystery" dinner party. It went over like a lead balloon with the local body of elders. They were called into a JC and publicly reproved along with those in attendance.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

High controlling oppressive cults are a bitch .

• lancelink
    lancelink

back in the early 80's our hall had a party called " radio party". People would lip synch to 50's music, kids had a pie eating contest, and everyone just had a great time.

After the second party, everything came to a screeching halt. heard thru the grapevine that these parties were not good for jehovahs people. It had families from several congregations attending, nothing like animal house.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

EXJWLEMMING:

Years ago there was a sister who wanted to organize some silly party which included costumes and other fantasy fun house type decorations in her house.

She was talked out of it by an older sister who said that it might cause weak people to succumb to immorality 🙄. I was glad it was called off because I thought it was too juvenile but didn’t want to hurt her feelings.

• LV101
    LV101

What's the big deal - the Gov Goons dress up like TV evangelists on stage all the time - pinky rings, designer attire, Rolexes -- they're always acting. Hypocrites.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This Thread reminded me of a JW Fancy Dress party Mrs Phizzy and I went to in the early '80's.We were told to come dressed as though it was the 1960's, so Mrs Phizzy and I went all Flower Power Hippy, I had on a genuine Indian kaftan that had appeared on the Brit '60s music show " Ready Steady Go !", a Hippy hat with a flower in it, Mrs Phizzy had on a hippy floral dress.

As we walked in the Hostess looked at our garb and said " Peace on you!" , I replied " You probably will later !"

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I guess fancy dress is something that is “just not done” among dubs.... I vaguely recall a C/o recounting an experience of one where things got out of hand with “elders dressed up as women!” ( shudder) . That does sound gross....

Nb. I felt like I was in fancy dress on a Sunday, wearing a white shirt and suit...

re Murder Mystery evenings, an elder of my acquaintance and his wife used to go to these at a local hotel , I guess it had food as well. They enjoyed it, and nothing was said to him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit