Witness Apologists

by stevieb1 2 Replies latest jw friends

• stevieb1
    stevieb1

With so much going wrong with the WTS why do intelligent individuals such as Greg Stafford and Rolf Furuli strive to defend it of their own volition? Secondly, have any ex-JW's who have read Stafford's books almost been convinced that WT doctrine is Bible based after reading hs argumentation? It is my understanding from my own research into the WT that most Witness academics eventually leave the organization as a result of their research, even when they originally set out to defend it. Does Jay Hess or Chris Christenson ring any bells from the past? Both were academically minded and both even wrote articles for the Society. I'd be interested in noting your thoughts on these matters plus I'd love to hear any news you have particularly on Greg Stafford's position with the Society. Regards Steven

• proplog2
    proplog2

Metatron posted something about the "slippery slope" syndrome. Apologists are really in the process of defending their beliefs from their own attacks. The process like any obsession takes on a life of its own.

Take Bill Bowen. At this point he NEEDS the witnesses to hold to their policy on child molestation. If the Watchtower did exactly as he wished he would have to find some other cause.

Some people really get off on having some kind of intellectual conflict going on.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Personally, I find people like Stafford admirable; he's on a spiritual journey from Point A to Point B, and he's taken the high road.if If he's to be criticized at all it might well be for naivete and idealism. To me he gives every appearance of being an honorable truth-seeker and will at some point need to confront the harsh realities of his situation from which, given his apparent honesty, the truth will stare back at him starkly, just as surely as 2 +2 + 4. Whether he's arrived at that point in his journey yet, I don't know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit