Ali Millar

by jonahstourguide 5 Replies latest social entertainment

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Hi All.

A news article regarding Ali Millar popped up on abc here in Australia.

Some of you folks in the UK may have heard of her.

She has released a book entitled 'The Last Days'. I guess from the article that her story rings true to anyone aware of the WT religions' modus operandi.

Here is the link and I will paste some of the news article.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-09/ali-millar-jehovahs-witnesses-leaving-her-religion-being-shunned/101266998

Ali Millar's upbringing in the Jehovah's Witnesses was traumatic. Now she's speaking out

ABC RN / By Anna Kelsey-Sugg and Catherine Zengerer for Late Night LivePosted Tue 9 Aug 2022 at 5:00amTuesday 9 Aug 2022 at 5:00am, updated Tue 9 Aug 2022 at 5:16amTuesday 9 Aug 2022 at 5:16am
    A woman aged about 40 with long red hair wearing a black jumper looks into the middle distance
    Former Jehovah's Witness Ali Millar had panic attacks after writing about her upbringing. (Image: Desiree Adams, Penguin Random House)Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

For Ali Millar, the experience of writing her difficult life story wasn't cathartic, it was traumatic.

"I would be sick. I had panic attacks. I've never showered as much in my life. Every time I finished writing, I would really need to wash," she tells ABC RN's Late Night Live.

Listen to the podcast

From razor-sharp analysis of current events to the hottest debates in politics, science and culture, Late Night Live puts you in the big picture.

Read more

Now London-based, Millar was born and raised in a small village in the Scottish Borders among the Jehovah's Witnesses, a religion with around eight million followers around the world.

It's a religion she now firmly rejects.

She says growing up she was told what to read and wear, experienced oppressive guilt and shame, and was constantly terrified of an impending Armageddon.

After documenting her story, Millar began to change how she felt about the past.

"I started to realise that a lot of things that I blamed myself for weren't my fault. I started to understand the [Jehovah's Witnesses] organisation and its mechanisms far better," she says.

Millar, whose memoir is The Last Days: A Memoir of Faith, Desire and Freedom, argues there's a common misconception of the Jehovah's Witnesses group as "benign".

But she describes it as a "deeply coercive and manipulative organisation".

"And that's really why it's important for me to speak out."

Mount Isa Kingdom Hall
    In Australia, there are roughly 70,000 Jehovah's Witnesses today.(Four Corners)

'The end is always imminent'

When Millar was born, her mother learnt that she'd been deceived by her new child's father, and that he was already married with children. He didn't stick around.

"When he left, she was really vulnerable," Millar says.

"And the Witnesses came knocking."

The young family entered the organisation voluntarily but they needed to adopt new beliefs.

"[The Witnesses] believe that God's kingdom was established on Earth in 1914," Millar says.

"They believe that Armageddon is imminent, and that war, famine, pestilence [and] earthquakes are all signs of the end."

She says in Witnesses' teachings "the end is always imminent" and only Witnesses will be saved, "to live forever in a paradise on Earth".

"We were told as Witnesses that when the end came, worldly people would eat their babies because there'd be so little food … that mobs would roam the streets."

Doomsday images from Jehovah's Witnesses publications.
    Doomsday images from Jehovah's Witnesses publications.(Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania)

Avoiding this fate is not as simple as being a Witness, however. "Membership doesn't guarantee your salvation," Millar says.

"It's God who gets to decide at the end, so you're constantly worrying about your behaviour."

As are other members of the organisation.

"There's quite tight peer control over what you listen to, what you read, what you watch ... It's all very carefully monitored," she says.

Millar says the organisation is also "completely patriarchal" and that women are "encouraged not to pursue further education".

The women who left a 'cult like' religion

Sherrie and Naomi were raised in devout Jehovah's Witness families and lived most of their lives under strict religious conditions — then they "woke up".

two women looking
    Read more

She says that in the community she grew up in, "Women aren't allowed to lead in any kind of worship. If women pray in public, they have to have head coverings on … Women aren't allowed to wear trousers to the meetings or on field service.

"What they wear is tightly controlled," she says.

"People think, 'Oh, these are nice people' … but their beliefs aren't. And the structure and the system which they live inside is deeply, deeply coercive."

In a statement to the ABC, Jehovah's Witnesses Australasian spokesperson Tom Pecipajkovski denied that the religious group controls what women wear, stating: "Each individual Jehovah's Witness has the freedom to choose what type of clothing to wear. Our organisation does not list which styles of clothing are acceptable and which are objectionable."

He also denied that women are discouraged from further education, stating: "Enrolling in a post secondary education course is a personal decision completely unrelated to a person's gender, age or race".

"We commonly encounter the false allegation that Jehovah's Witnesses 'control' various aspects of a congregant's life. There is no basis for this," the spokesperson said.

He also referred to international international human rights cases, such as a 2010 Russian case, recognising the right of Jehovah’s Witnesses to practise their religion, and questioned the reliability of former members' perceptions of religions they have left.

Inside the secretive world of the Jehovah's Witnesses

Not much has changed since the cruel treatment of abuse victims in the Jehovah's Witnesses was exposed. Now, former members are fighting back.

Read more

Eating disorder was a way 'to be pure'

By her teens, Millar says she was doing "normal" things like having relationships and experimenting with alcohol. But she was hiding all of it from her mother and the church.

"I was really ashamed … and I just wanted to be pure," she says.

She developed an eating disorder as a "way of me trying to become clean".

jtg

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    "We were told as Witnesses that when the end came, worldly people would eat their babies because there'd be so little food … that mobs would roam the streets."

I'd almost forgot about that one. What an incredibly ignorant thing to present to children. It's what happens when uneducated ignorant bible teachers teach others who are also uneducated.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I have just finished reading Ali's excellent Book, I cannot praise it enough !

It is as easy to read as a Novel in some ways, it is amazing how she bares her very Soul, and shows what a terrible effect the teachings of the J.W's have on the mind and emotions of a young child, to such a degree, that the fears and pain remain long in to adulthood.

It reads like Poetry in a good number of places, she writes with great skill, evoking the places she has lived, the people she has met, but never holding back on things that were mistakes, or her own emotional responses.

Her exposition of what it is like to live in the J.W enclosed world, and how difficult it is to enter the "foreign" world of normal people is the best I have ever read.

Needless to say the J.W. spokesperson Tom Pecipajkovski lies about what being a Witness is like, with the usual not quite "half-truths" about each JW following their own conscience. The truth of the matter is J.W's are not ALLOWED to have their own conscience !

Get hold of a Copy, it will be the best Book you will read this year !

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

n a statement to the ABC, Jehovah's Witnesses Australasian spokesperson Tom Pecipajkovski denied that the religious group controls what women wear, stating: "Each individual Jehovah's Witness has the freedom to choose what type of clothing to wear. Our organisation does not list which styles of clothing are acceptable and which are objectionable."

Hmmm. Remember this publication?

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Spot on BB!

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

She is in London now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit