Older Ex-JW Attending Mass in Historic U.S. Basilicas

by TMS 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• TMS
    TMS

I still remember the first time I commented on this board with nervous fingers barely able to press the keys. What triggered my entry into the forbidden was the orchestrated disfellowshipping of my then 21 year old son.

Well, he's now 51, with a supportive wife, two genius sons who will never see the inside of a Kingdom Hall.

My first wife of 49.5 years, loyal and supportive to a fault, passed away 5 years ago.

In 2019 I married a young filipina, 33 years my junior, a nominal Catholic. My life with her has simply been amazing and I treasure every moment. She's a travel nurse, and while not particularly religious, she feels a need to visit basilicas in every city we visit; Chicago, Des Moines, St. Paul, Brownsville, TX, etc., telling me she wants to "thank someone."

I tag along, admiring the architecture, the paintings of the apostles, Jesus, Mary, etc. Typically a priest will give a talk the rough equivalant of a TMS student talk. It's funny, but, in terms of actual spirituality, I feel something here that I never felt in 50 odd years at the Kingdom Hall. Occasionally, a church member will speak to us and we exchange pleasantries. Sometimes, as we exit, some sort of church offical will thank us for coming. I'm not joining anything. LOL! But, still, this superficial participation calms the "worship" side of my brain more than 20 odd years of 100 hours per month field service.

Anyway, TMS

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Thx for the update. Glad things are going well for you.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes I agree worship can have a clarity and serenity to it once you mentally get off the JW wheel. Congrats and best wishes.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    In 2019 I married a young filipina, 33 years my junior, a nominal Catholic.

In 2016--i married a young filipina, 23 years my junior, also a nominal catholic. Shes been to church once in that time. She is the registered manager of a nearby care home. Life has been--well--lets say--different.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

A few years ago whilst on a weekend in London my wife and I went to a service in St Paul's cathedral. That seemed like a poke in the eye to all that we had been taught over many decades. There was a small congregation, all of whom seemed to know what they were doing al least. we of course didn't. We left before the end. There seemed no more weight in the proceedings than in our hall. We left before the end. Perhaps we missed the good bits.

I any case I can report, there was no lighting bolt from the sky, or impressions of impending doom. There was no rustle of offended angelic wings. Maybe that is being saved up for the imminent, just around the corner moment when fireballs are tossed from heaven at us and that wonderful building. I won't hold my breath.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

TMS: In 2019 I married a young filipina, 33 years my junior...

stan livedeath: In 2016--i married a young filipina, 23 years my junior...

Gosh! What am I doing wrong? haha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit