Disfellowshipping Loving? HELP! Part One

by elumn8_2 5 Replies latest jw friends

• elumn8_2
    elumn8_2

Do You Think Disfellowshipping is Unscriptural?
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/50957/727066/post.ashx#727066

That was the topic that inspired this....

I have given many scriptures in the previous topic showing how Jesus had so much love for us and I feel that Paul was trying to set an example for us in his writings. Look at this.....
    1 Corinthians 4:16 "I entreat YOU, therefore, become imitators of me."
    and.....
    1 Corinthians 11:1 "Become imitators of me, even as I am of Christ"

I feel that he was trying to set a good example in order to help his brothers in the Corinthian congregation. But I think he did change his mind or possibly had to clairify things that were misunderstood. Because of 2 Corinthians.....

2 Corinthians 2:5-8 "5 Now if anyone has caused sadness, he has saddened, not me, but all of YOU to an extent-not to be too harsh in what I say. 6 This rebuke given by the majority is sufficient for such a man, 7 so that, on the contrary now, YOU should kindly forgive and comfort [him], that somehow such a man may not be swallowed up by his being overly sad. 8 Therefore I exhort YOU to confirm YOUR love for him"

Here he changes his attitude to forgiving and having LOVE. And he continues with that into Romans. Him moving from Corinth to Rome on his travels. Jesus Christ and his undeserved kindness he gives he writes about in Romans, he doesn't give some more rules and guidelines but focuses more on the BIGGER PICTURE... LOVE.

Like in the previous post about disfellowshipping there I posted many things of what Jesus said like....
    Mattew 7:12 "All things, therefore, that YOU want men to do to YOU, YOU also must likewise do to them; this, in fact, is what the Law and the Prophets mean."

I feel that LOVE was the message Jesus was trying to show to people. Love, forgiveness, and mercy.

END OF PART ONE............................... Im looking forward to hearing your comments and read my PART TWO please!

• bearded_tatooed_and_smokin
    bearded_tatooed_and_smokin

I have been perusing a lot of forums, looking for answers on why I felt so judged as a devout Jehovah Witness. I am disfellowshippped myself, and finding others who can alleviate my pain is refreshing.

I believe in the Grace of Jehovah, and think your post was excellent in its coverage.

Jesus was persecuted becuase he taught the love and grace of Jehovah extended to the sinners. He did this not by creating an imposing institution, but by giving them rejoicing hearts, when they discovered the gospel of love, not judgement.

"man dominates man to his injury" Ecc 8:9 . So God never intented us to judge one another., or any church entity. It solely belongs to Christ and his co rulers during his millenial age. (the little flock) Luke 12:32

'By one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin: and so death passed upon all men." Romans 5:12

This gave us the need for the ransom 1 Tim 2:6. Because ALL men have sinned, and it isn't right to single out a few for man imposed "shunning"

In Micah 4:1-4 It is the Kingdom of Christ that wil judge...."and he will teach us his ways, and we wil walk in his paths: for the law shall fo forth of Zion...and he shall judge among many people.'

it is only up to Christ to judge, Not men. I enjoyed your post.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

Welcome Bearded_Tatooed_and_Smokin!!!

Kewl Username.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Matt. 18:15-17 is often used to justify disfellowshipping and shunning: "let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector." Now how did Jesus treat Gentiles and tax collectors? Did he ostracize them? Hardly. See Matt. 4:15, Matt. 8:5-13 and John 4:9. How did he treat tax collectors? See Matt. 9:9-14. Jesus associated with Gentiles, sinners and tax collectors; he loved them. Are we to do less?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Disfellowshipping is mainly about "shutting up" the ex-member. The ex-member is not allowed to talk to JW's, they're discouraged from talking to outsiders, and especially not other DF'd or DA'd ones!! So in other words, to please the WT society, such ones are supposed to live in total isolation.

The Society doesn't want DF'd or DA'd ones passing on information that might criticize the society or cause a member in good standing to start to use their brain and examine things for themselves. So if you isolate the DF'd one, you inoculate the rank-and-file JW's from any "outside" information.

And THAT is the reason for disfellowshipping. It's hardly about keeping the congregation clean (please give me a break).

• rocketman
    rocketman

Interesting post elum8.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit