I am losing

by NoMoreHustle 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• NoMoreHustle
    NoMoreHustle

I haven't posted anything for a bit, but wanted to express how I am losing this battle. it has been over 3 years now since I woke up about watchtower. the battle that I am talking about is the tug of war with my wife (I adore her immensely), watchtower is winning, she simply will not give in to my so-called negative thoughts about the religion that we are in. at this point I am at a loss of words, I am wishful thinking that she will wake up, but it's not gonna happen.

I really have to think about becoming a robot, act like a robot & simply become a robot.

at the end of the day my wife's feelings & relationship are more important to me than anything else

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Two choices.

Accept her and it for what it is, and that she will never ever leave.

Leave her and rebuild your life.

• C0ntr013r
    C0ntr013r

I don't know how you have approached the situation, maybe you already know this but..

Don't make it your goal to get her to understand that the JWs are wrong, instead make it your goal to help her learn to think for herself and draw her own conclusions. That way she can try her believes with her reasoning instead of someone else shoving her how it is done.

You can rarely wake someone up, they have to wake themselves up :)

• freddo
    freddo

Or stay with her and rebuild your life. Accept she wants to do what she wants to do. You do what you want to - get a hobby and do that when she is at meetings or on the ministry.

If she is not actively reporting you to elders and making your life misery just be a good husband (not a doormat), arrange fun things and weekends away and show your contended happy attitude even if you have to act it out sometimes.

Laugh lightly at the daft things (without being nasty to her) jw's now do. "I love the witness cart ministry. That must be why we have all these extra seats being filled at the meetings."

But also make a point. "How can you witness to parents to bring their families to the meetings when you know the brothers haven't sorted out the way they handle abuse problems?" Don't argue just make the comment and look puzzled.

Be happy focusing on the fact you are mentally free - not unhappy focusing on the fact that your wife isn't (yet).

• kairos
    kairos

I chose to stay with my JW wife and let life be what it is.

I'm glad i did.
    She is, too.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I recommend reading Steve Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control, if you have not done so. It is very difficult to wake up someone in a cult, the problem is they got there first, they are just trained to think everything against the Watchtower is a plot by Satan to take them away from God.

I am sorry, I know it must be very hard.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

This is complicated a hundred fold if you have young children. Do you?

If not, you CAN still have a happy marriage if you leave the cult and she stays in. It won't be an easy journey but others have made it with marriage intact. But you owe it to yourself to take those first steps. If you do, ensure her of your love and devotion no matter what, you are just tired of living a lie and pretending to be something you are not. Nobody deserves to go through life trying to be a robot.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I'm in the same boat. I'm no longer pretending to be in the cult - I'm trying to build a normal life while my wife is acting like a boat anchor fighting to maintain status quo. It's tough and it may not work out.

Anyway, I've got no advice for you... Nothing's worked for me. But you're not alone.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel
    Man I really feel for you guys and that's not lip service I truly feel for you.
  • Cold Steel
    Cold Steel
    at the end of the day my wife's feelings & relationship are more important to me than anything else ❤

This pretty much says it all. But freeing one's self from the confines of any false belief doesn't require you having to choose between it and one's family. Nor does subversion work very well unless you can replace it with a better spiritual foundation because people need religion as a means of making sense of one's existence. Even atheists need to believe in something, even if it's nothing.

Were you both JWs before you were married or are you converts? If converts, what churches were you members of? Do you still consider yourself a Christian or has your awakening caused you to lose your faith in everything? Also, when you say you're having a tug of war with your wife, what type? How far do you go? When it comes to writing a check to Jehovah's earthly kingdom, is there tension? When it comes to money, dropping yours into the coffers of a false religion must be difficult.

When you two go to the KH together, if you're still going, do you ask "inappropriate" questions? Rock the boat in any way? Does she seem willing to talk about the things that bother you or does she clam up? And finally, has she gone to see the elders yet?

Sorry to hear you're going through this, but I'm happy to hear you're sticking with your family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit