WT July 2017 Study (Pecuniary) Edition

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

This edition of the WT has an article ("Seeking Riches That Are True) which forcefully seeks financial contributions....

Paragraph 3 equates giving to the WTBTS as synonymous with giving to God....

"As Christians, we do well to examine our view of today’s commercial system by asking ourselves such questions as these: ‘How can I use my material possessions to show faithfulness to God?"

Paragraph 8 gives the strong impression that contributions finance the preaching work and is equated with being faithful!...

"An obvious way to prove ourselves faithful with our material things is by contributing financially to the worldwide preaching work that Jesus foretold would take place."

Quite a shocker is this article. Guarantees my absence when it is "studied" at KH. They have no shame at all! I think things must be getting desperate. I remember BBC Radio 4's "Reporters" documentary saying that the compensation awarded one victim of child abuse in the UK was the equivalent of £5 per publisher. That's just one case and doesn't include an equivalent per publisher for the legal costs. They really must be feeling the squeeze!

• steve2
    steve2

Every religious organization is an insatiable sponge for money and property. There is no exception. All else is window dressing. And few organizations are more adept at window dressing than JW organization.

However, what makes JW organization unforgivably reprehensible in this regard is its public face in which it pompously criticizes 'the churches of Christendom' for their tithing and plate-passing collections and sets itself up as uniquely above all that by parading Chuck Russell's dubious maxim: "Seats Free - No Collection".

It is not until you read articles like this, see the collection boxes at conventions, hear the messages at conventions about "costs" per number attending, count the number of credit card machines popping up at conventions, and, among other things, view JW.org telling JW kids to donate their ice-cream money, that you realize the only thing that truly distinguishes JWs from other churches is its methods of soaking up members' money, and upon death, their property.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

steve2 you are right - but

Other religions don't keep you from going to College - having a Career you love - working Overtime - working to gather Wealth for yourself and your family.

• steve2
    steve2

ttdtt, most other religions don't but there are others that share with JW organization frowning upon college and career - Amish, Exclusive Brethren and some of the more rural Pentecostal sects.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit