The Secrets She Keeps

by Simon 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Simon
    Simon

Anyone watching this? It's an Australian production with the actress who plays Lady Edith in Downton Abbey.

Great drama.

There was a surprise mention of Jehovah's Witnesses in episode 2. We just started watching episode 3 and, well, they are going to hate the kind of publicity this gives them!

It will build on the terrible reputation they have after the commission investigating abuse within organisations, which the WTS tried to obstruct and obfuscate their responsibilities in.

Well worth watching as a drama in it's own right, but especially as a potential talking point about the WTS.

On CBC in Canada.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

I found it on line and quickly looked though episode 2 but failed to pick up on the JW bit, would you share the juicy bit please. https://vimeo.com/438449918

R.B.

• Simon
    Simon

It's a passing mention in E02, you know, the kind where JWs would nudge each other and smile, because the world "knew about them". At the time we even said "ha, JWs get a mention, they won't like that the mad stalker was brought up a JW!"

But it's a way more major part of the storyline in E03.

I'd encourage you to watch it though, not just skip through it.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We watched this last year some time, I thought it was well done, entertaining enough. The JW part of the plot is very appropriate I thought. But , as you say Simon, JW's won't like it !

The JW's will probably Nit Pick at the slight " inaccuracies", which are not really, I think they are maybe deliberate, and even if not, do not excuse the JW Org for what it is, and what it does to people !

• Simon
    Simon
    The JW's will probably Nit Pick at the slight "inaccuracies", which are not really, I think they are maybe deliberate, and even if not, do not excuse the JW Org for what it is, and what it does to people!

Yes, I think there are probably two reasons for this:

First, the audience needs to understand it and it's not intended as a documentary about JW beliefs, so "you'll burn in hell-fire for this!" is something they will understand, even if it isn't something the WTS teaches. The concept is religious condemnation and punishment.

Second, it's the recollections of a traumatized woman, so doesn't need to be 100% accurate. Again, it's about the feelings she has of what happened that matter, not the 100% accurate-to-their-beliefs wording.

And can you picture JWs that will pounce on the inaccuracy, imagining that it somehow excuses things? Oh dear ...

Person: "Wow, we watched this programme where they showed your religion in a pretty bad light, a young girl got raped by one of your priests - that's the 'organizational abuse' thing that commission investigated isn't it that we all saw on the news?"

JW: "Well, 'akshully', it's all lies because we never say 'hell fire' so, yeah ...."

Person: "Eh? WTF is wrong with you! You think that matters at all compared to the main story? Don't you have something to say about that instead of thinking they get off on a technicality?"

JW: "I have to go ..."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit