I'mageddn a phobia

by Beanie 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Beanie
    Beanie

I have only just left the jw religion. I am pursuing my studies and career now and I know I could never go back. BUT..... the prophesies etc still haunt me daily. With all of the shit that is going on around the world at the moment I still think of Revelation, armaggedon etc. I often think... but what if they are right? what if armaggedon does come? etc.

I also am confused about my relationship with God; can I still form a valid relationship with him now that I have left? will he listen to my prayers? am I now an 'apostate'? Sometimes I feel really insecure about it and feel like I am in this moral vacuum now.

How do you newly departed feel about the current world events and bible prophesy. Also do you still believe in God and try to foster a relationship with Him?

Sorry, there are a lot of questions in this post, but I was having one of those days today.

Beanie

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Hi, Beanie, and welcome (in case I haven't said that already)! I've gone through a lot of what you're feeling, so here's the way I coped:

(1) PROPHECIES/WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE: First of all, take a deep breath and look back at history and all of the doomsday prophets who spouted off at the Black Plague, World War I, the Spanish Influenza Epidemic, World War II, Vietnam, the Cuban Missile Crisis -- well, you get the idea! I'm not trying to be one of those people talked about in 2 Peter who minimized events, but here's where we get to Point #2 . . . .

(2) YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD: It doesn't depend on Jehovah's Witnesses. God, whether you call him Jehovah, Jesus, or Allah, is separate from all religions. He got to be God on his own and not through a bunch of Pharisaic men. Your relationship with God is between YOU and HIM. So talk to him as you would a friend and ask him what he wants you to do. Then listen. If you don't get any kind of a clear picture, then maybe you're doing just fine as you are. As for Armageddon, trust God to know your heart condition, to know that you're trying your best, and believe that it's good enough. If it isn't good enough, do you really want to spend forever trying to please an un-pleasable entity?

I feel that my relationship with God is better than it was before because I'm not trying to find the magic formula of rules that will get me into his favor. I can enjoy his qualities without worrying that I'm late for the meeting, or unprepared, or too tired to grasp the complications of Isaiah's prophecies.

Hope this helps!

Nina

• logansrun
    logansrun

Most people that leave a cult like the JWs go through the "what if they are right?" phase. Some ex-fundamentalists go through that...with the thought of a burning eternal hellfire! How would you like to have that thought in the back of your mind?

Fortunately, most can reason their way out of that line of thinking. Notice I said "reason" your way out of it. That's key. Armageddon, hellfire, destruction from a vengeful god are all irrational beliefs with no foundation in reality. So, you must use your head to find your way out of the mess. My suggestion is to read as much as possible about cults in general and how they operate. Also, you might pick up two books in particular that will help you: Marlene Winnell's "Leaving the Fold" and Carl Olof Jonnson's "Signs of the Last Days -- When?" The former is a book by a psychologist who helps people deal with their issues in exiting fundamentalist religions. The latter is a book by a former JW who documents how our times are not the worst humanity has ever seen -- not by a long shot.

Remember, you have been through an indoctrination into a closed-minded, apocalyptic community which the rest of the thinking world views as a fringe cult. Take your time, but activate your mind. Things get better (they did for me).

Take care

Bradley

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Hehe, I feel your pain, beanie.

I wonder sometimes, about prophecy. Still, none of what the WT has prophesied ever come true, think about it. They predicted the drying up of religion; it has not happened. The UN is the scarlet beast, oops, not anymore. Funny: yesterday some ambitious brothers who gave the special talk id'd the UN as the scarlet beast who turns on religion, but the June 1 WT says we DO NOT know who it is, and Jehovah's people don't speculate. LOL. That is WT speak for we don't know who the **ck it is, and don't talk about it.

Relax. Right wing fundies are the ones predicting drastic, apocalyptic visions for the world. Ask a mainstream religious type what he thinks, and you will get a more moderate outlook.

You are used to having the organization between you and God; it is normal for a while to wonder if you can find him by yourself, or if you should. Just keep praying, and thinking, and you will be amazed. Think about it: Jesus whole ministry was about eliminating any group of rule makers from your relationship with God; his focus was on getting to know him, and then letting your heart tell you what you should do.

• Valis
    Valis

Its odd when you finally find that thing which keeps people in for so long huh? The fear and guilt will go away, you just have to carry on. Travel and become involved in other cultures. Research other religions and peruse through their own apocalyptic versions..What you will find, IMO, is that the commonality among differening faiths uncovers that need to look forward to SOMETHING, even if it isn't pretty. If you still feel the need to have a spiritual life then good for you, just find your own way to express it. Maybe it means taking your bible and reading it somewhere nice and quite...for reflection, or perhaps maybe its finding a special place you find that is filled with natural beauty...beats going to church huh?*LOL* Welcome to the board and best of luck in your journeys.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

Great advice Nina!

Most ex-JWs have these thoughts when they first leave, and many for years to come. It just part of the conditioning we get while in the borg. Its always in the back of our mind because it was in the front of our minds for so long. It doesn't mean you still believe it. Its like phobia. Over time, some people conquer their phobias and some just live with it.

As with your relationship with God, I can't give much advice about that because of my beliefs, but DON'T let someone else tell you what your relationship can and can't be.

• foreword
    foreword

Count yourself lucky to have found people who can reason with you so quickly after leaving. For 15 years I have lived under the expectation that god was gonna zap me out of existence "pretty soon now". For all those years I have lived with the thoughts you expressed in your post.

Although I believe there will be a judgement day I have no clue what god's judgement will be for me or for others. If you want peace, are somewhat conscious of your wrongdoings, have an interest in spirituality along with a desire for personal betterment, I don't see why god would choose to judge you severely. I wouldn't, so why should I expect that from him.

Jesus never gave a hard time to the poor Joe who had a hard time to cope with life, remember that. But he did give a hard time to those who were exploiters, such as the religious leaders of his time. People who put burdens on men, so they can have a more luxurious life than the rest without lifting a little finger. These leaders or decision-makers usually gang themselves together for the purpose of controlling money and people. It is these people that need to leave the planet and not the regular Joe. God knows that, if he exists and plans to intervene.

The truth, well....I think it's impossible for any human being to actually claim they have the truth. The subject is debatable and debated (even here on this board) yet you'll find that no one philosophy is without flaw. Until the day comes when god will actually and personally reveal it to me, I cannot in good conscience let another man make that decision for me. I must strive to find out for myself and for myself.

To admit to yourself that you are not perfect, and to be aware of it, is in my opinion something god will look at if he judges you and not just if you had intellectual knowledge of the truth.

Harmageddon, if it happens, it happens. But I won't let another man tell me what god's judgement is in my case. I try my best, for now that's the best I can do, and if that doesn't please him, and he still wishes to zap me, well then zap me. What can I do?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit