"What Is Truth?"

by LoneWolf 9 Replies latest jw friends

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hi, All,

A few of us have been conversing by email on this subject and I thought I’d throw it out for all to consider, as it affects all of us.

I’m interested in this subject as it is the question Pontius Pilate asked Jesus, “What is truth?” (John 18:37, 38) Also, it seems especially apropos for our day as if ever there was a time that “truth” was needed, it is now.

For me, the following concepts help tremendously, as they are ways to classify and organize truth itself and helps us to realize when we are getting complacent in our thinking. It also helps emphasize just how little we know, streamlines our avenues of inquiry, and makes the very process of learning exciting. There is no subject to which it does not apply.

A previous correspondent told me of the three different types of truth, and I greatly appreciated his thought. They were:

Absolute Truth

That truth which corresponds to absolute reality, and is usually known only to our heavenly creator and to those whom he decides to give it.

Relative Truth

The progress that we imperfect humans make toward gaining "Absolute Truth", but never quite reach in spite of our best efforts.

Relative Truth Believed Absolutely

A "Relative Truth" that we have gained such confidence in that we refuse to consider any further evidence concerning it.”

But there is a great deal more that needs to be said. To go on with a further analysis of truth in this matter, I submit the following:

I view truth as being much like an artichoke. Each truth has many leaves and each leaf has a small amount of nutrient under it. Most people will pull off a few leaves, be satisfied with what they’ve found, and never think that it would be advantageous to pull off a few more to see what is under them.

To illustrate: Most of us know that 1+1=2. It becomes an ‘absolute truth believed absolutely’ that we ‘know’ and won’t question. However, is it always?

What if we are dealing in the binary base? Then it isn’t 2, it’s 10. At one time, such a concept would have been considered a silly mind game, but now that principle is the very heart of the computer world. They wouldn’t work without it. Who would have believed a century ago that the binary base would come to have such importance in the world now?

Or what if we are in the world of biology? There 1+1 can equal 2, or 200, or 2,000, or 2,000,000. It all depends upon how long the 1 has been with the other 1. Look at the rabbits in Australia and all of the environmental damage they’ve caused.

Another example of the different layers of truth would be that riddle I’ll bet you’ve heard about the bear hunter. It goes like this:

The hunter woke up in the morning, ate breakfast, grabbed his rifle and left camp looking for bears. After walking one mile due south, he spotted a bear to the east. Heading due east, he caught up to the bear and shot and killed it at a point exactly one mile from where he first saw it. After skinning it out, he packed the hide exactly one mile due north, which brought him back to his camp, only to discover that another bear had raided the camp.

Now, what was the color of the bear that raided the camp?

Most of us will feel good about ourselves in recognizing that the clues are in the directions. At most places on earth, it would be impossible to get back to the same place by following those directions, as we would still be one mile east of the camp when done. However, if the camp was set up exactly on the north pole, you would end up right back where you started. The eastern leg would be merely an arc going around the pole. The route itself would look like a slice of pie. From there the answer is obvious. The bear was white.

However, we can take this one step further. There is an infinity of other places on the earth where we can follow the same directions and still get back to the same place. Can you tell me the general locale where they exist, and what the route will look like?

It is this “expanded thinking” that I am fascinated with. It is from there that we gain new knowledge. Just like wandering through an unexplored wilderness, one never knows what will be discovered.

Closely related to that is the “oneness or commonality” that we can find in seemingly unrelated things. I refer to it as “patterns” that we can sense behind some of the things we see. An excellent example of one would be the experience of Dmitri I. Mendeleev and the way he came to formulate his Periodic Table of Elements. (If you’re not familiar with that, check him out in the encyclopedia.)

Then too, we need to keep in mind that the knowledge we possess right now is miniscule in comparison to everything that can be learned. Look at it this way:

If, in the 1600’s, we would have walked across the room, flicked a switch on the wall and a bright light suddenly appeared in the ceiling, we would probably been hung for witchcraft. Or, to use another example, picture two of the most intelligent men of their age, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson, trying to understand and fix one of today’s computers when it’s broken down.

When we look into the past and compare our knowledge now with what they had then, we appear to be light years ahead of them. That makes us feel good and flatters our egos. But in the process we tend to forget that there is far more yet to learn than what we have already learned.

We might compare it to a sand flea on the beach in Alaska. Every evening at dusk they migrate down to the water line and every dawn go right back up to the vegetation line to sleep during the day. All we are is like the one who decided to go a little farther, climbed the 15 foot bank above the shore and looked out at the magnificent view that no other sand flea in history ever saw.

He would be quite proud of himself, wouldn’t he? He may even wish to lord it over his fellows and claim to have all knowledge. But what he doesn’t realize is that a few miles further inland, there is a mountain that goes up another 20,305 feet. That rather dwarfs his measly 15 feet, doesn’t it? How are we any different? How foolish we are to allow any of our “truths” to become “relative truths believed absolutely”!

The reason I am so fascinated with this concept is that it is a way to structure knowledge, to reduce conflict and encourage the sharing of viewpoints without ego interfering with our helping one another to advance. It is a way to sharpen one another’s “face”, as the scripture says. (Prov. 27:17) It’s a whole new frontier where everyone can explore and be thrilled by their part in it.

What’s exciting is that there is a whole truckload more of artichokes, all of which need some peeling. I don’t know about you, but I’m excited.

Look this over and see if you can get a handhold on another leaf that I haven’t identified yet. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

‘Til later,

LoneWolf
    Alias: Tom Howell

• kes152
    kes152

Greetings Lone,

May Jah bless you!!

My Lord wishes to respond to your 'question' regarding what he meant when he spoke of "the truth."

He says to you:

"I am the way, and THE TRUTH,and the life."

"If you remain in my word and my sayings remain in you then in that day you will KNOW THE TRUTH and THE TRUTH will set you free."

Hence, "if THE SON sets you free you will really be free."

"I am the way, and THE TRUTH, and the life"

"I myself have called out to mankind, and my voice is to the sons of men. Come! Listen, for in low tones my mouth utters "truth itself." Wickedness, the perverse mouth, and the deceptive tongue I HAVE HATED. All those loving "truth" hear my 'voice' For I am the "truth" that came down from heaven so that anyone may eat of me and not die."

"I am the way, if anyone wants to 'see' or 'hear' anything "spiritual" they must come to ME first, so that I bring them into that which is spiritual."

"I am the "truth," if anyone wants to know the actual "truth" I myself am IT. If you KNOW me, you know truth, for I am TRUTH."

"I am the life, if anyone wants to live, they must come to me, for I came down from heaven so that anyone that eats of me will not die but live for ever. For unless you eat of my flesh and drink my bloo' you have NO life in yourselves. For my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on me, truly I say to you, that one will LIVE because of me."

"Let the one who has ears, hear what the HOLY SPIRIT says,"

Thus, are HIS words, may you have peace!
    Aaron

• Norm
    Norm

Aron

Among other things you said:

"Let the one who has ears, hear what the HOLY SPIRIT says,"

Thus, are HIS words, may you have peace!
    Aaron

Reading these rather insane claims one realize how utterly meaningless they are. What raving insanity religion seem to require.

If someone came to you today and made all these outrageous claims, would you just believe it? If not, does it relly help that another person allegedly has made the same claims a couple of thousand years ago?

What would make such extraordinary claims more credible? Why is it that religious claims always seem more "credible" if they are far removed either in distance or in time? Is being extremly gullible the only thing that really matters?

Norm

• kes152
    kes152

Dear Norm,

To answer your questions, "no" I would not simply believe someone because they made outrageous claims.

The things I spoke were the very things I heard him say (which is why they are in quotes).

The 'claim' that was made is that he is the Truth and if you or anyone else want "truth" you must hear it from him.

For those who need more than his words, he himself is reported to have said the same thing in every bible. thus, there is a 'basis' for that faith.

Right now, people have the choice and the invitation to believe that he is the "truth." However, the hour is coming when all those in heaven, on earth, and under the earth, AND in the seas will openly confess that he is TRUTH. Every breathing thing will openly confess. This is only a matter of time.

But for now, it is people's choice to either "come to him" and hear his "truth" or "keep doing what they are already doing." This is why the 'claim' seems "insane" to you now. You just haven't "seen" yet. But when you "see," then you will know what I was speaking of.

May you have peace,
    Aaron

• Carmel
    Carmel

So Aaron, now that you have decided that one artichoke leaf is all there is to reality, you likely insist that all other articoke leaves are from the "devil"?

Exactly what Woofy described as "relative truth taken as absolute truth".

eligah

• logical
    logical

Carmel,

Why sign your post "eligah"?

• Norm
    Norm

Kes 152,

Do this mean that you hear voices?

Norm.

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

Hello, kes152

I have no problem with what you write, but it is a case in point. That is the "milk of the word", and I wish to move on to some of the "meat" (Heb. 5:12-14)

Let's illustrate by going back to my first post and the example of 1+1=2. I gave two additional answers that could be true, depending upon the circumstances. They were ways that most people don't even think of, and yet none of them contradict the original. They are simply different facits of that truth that lend themselves to a deeper understanding of the subject.

Likewise here. It is true that we can come to a knowledge of our Creator through a study of the Bible. However, even the Bible itself implies that we can gain a witness as to his qualities from the creations themselves. (Luke 19:40) Have you ever received a spiritual uplift by taking a long walk in the woods or on the seashore, by standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon, or witnessed the birth of your child?

Does this mean that studying these creations can be substituted for the Bible? No. However, they can give us a deeper understanding of him and make us feel closer to him.

Likewise here. If "God is truth", then by studying truth and how it works, are we not also studying God?

Think about it.

LoneWolf

• N.drew
    N.drew

Nice!

I have an example. Nobody will ever know where world would be without the WTBTS. Maybe it was God's will that they existed. Maybe world needed them. Maybe not. I know that I would not have understood much of what I do understand and enjoy if I had never experienced the part of my life with them. Does it mean that they are "the truth"? No. And the logical answer lies in your essay dear Tom. I do not know if they are a stepping stone from past to now, but for me they were. And for some of you too they were, I think. Does that make them righteous? ...that's another subject though....

• Twitch
    Twitch

Perhaps it's just relative...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit