JW NBA player arrested for domestic violence

by OrphanCrow 2 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Let the case against the Kings’ Darren Collison play out

Darren Collison's lawyer is quoted as saying:

“This is a warm and loving family, and there is no doubt that they will get past this together,” said Portanova, one of Sacramento’s highest-profile defense lawyers and one who is not known to speak too glowingly to reporters about the people he represents, except in the occasional case where he actually believes they are innocent.
    So what happened out there, Bill, in the rancher amid the blue oak where the foothills of the Sierra just begin to take shape?
    “It’s really a misunderstanding, and we’re working to straighten it out,” Portanova said. “This is genuinely one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met, and we will be working closely with the family.”

Quite the misunderstanding. From this article Kings point guard Darren Collison charged with domestic violence :

Police received a call from a woman — Collison's wife, per CBS13 — who said she was being assaulted, and when they arrived on scene around 1 a.m. on Wednesday morning, they witnessed visible injuries on the woman...

From the first article we learn about Collison's JW affiliation:

One fact that would register as a surprise would be if alcohol was involved.
    Collision, 28, is a Jehovah’s Witness, a faith that frowns strongly on overindulgence, and he and his family live around the corner from the Kingdom Hall on Berg Street.
    An elder at the Granite Bay hall who only gave his name as Larry vouched for Collison as a practicing member of the congregation.
    “Very friendly,” Larry said of Collison. “Cordial, and so forth. He seemed to be respected by everyone.”

And what did Larry have to say about the woman who called the police to help her at 1 am?

Collison’s wife did not attend the meetings with the same frequency of her husband, but, “I’ve seen her a few times,” Larry said.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

What is surprising is not if alcohol (many JWs drink to excess), but that a JW would be involved in the NBA.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

I saw the headline about this in the news, but dismissed it because I don't care about sports. But finding out he is a practicing JW and NBA player is interesting-add to that a wife beater and it's down right fascinating! The rules are loosened for some! Prince, the Williams sisters, this Collison guy, Coco Rocha-is you are REALLY good at a sport, singing or modeling, its okay, but if you are just a young kid in school, sports, music or modeling is a no-no

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit