Toronto CityNews - Online obit hijacked by religious propaganda: family

by OrphanCrow 8 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Cristina Howorun spoke to one woman who says her father’s online memorial was hijacked by posts trying to recruit new members to a faith her father had no connection to.

News video at this link:

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/2018/03/14/online-obit-hijacked-by-religious-propaganda-family/

(you have to endure two ads to get to the broadcast)

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Bottom feeding disgusting scavengers, whoever is doing this. Shame on the soul sucking Borganization for not condemning the practice. They just gave it tacit approval.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dubstepped: Bottom feeding disgusting scavengers, whoever is doing this. Shame on the soul sucking Borganization for not condemning the practice. They just gave it tacit approval.

Yes, JWs are ghouls.

The org has always encouraged inappropriate "witnessing" and that has included doing things like showing up at the graveside of unbelievers to hand out literature. There are many stories online of JWs doing just that.

JWs have an odd and strange relationship with death. Their view of death is perverted and they lack respect for other people's grief.

• sir82
    sir82

They just gave it tacit approval.

Tacit?!?!

They encourage it explicitly!

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102001043?q=obituaries&p=par

For instance, sharing the Bible’s promise of a coming peaceful new world has been a valued part of her life since she was 11 years old, and today she still does this every week. (Matthew 28:19, 20) Helen explains how:

“I ask a visiting nurse to hold the newspaper for me. Together we read the obituaries and select some. Then I tell the nurse what thoughts I would like to include in a letter to the relatives of the one who died, and the nurse types the letter. With the letter, I send the brochure When Someone You Love Dies,* which explains the Bible’s comforting hope of the resurrection. I do this every Sunday afternoon. It makes me happy that I can still share the good news of God’s Kingdom with others.”

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Well, I was only referring to the statement in the video, but yes they do directly encourage it in other places. My reaction was to the video only, not every possible thing they've ever written or said.

• SAHS
    SAHS

The JWs, by their heavy indoctrination, become robots programmed to proselytize aggressively so as to get in as many “brownie points” as they can and wherever it would get them the most exposure – whether appropriate or not.

The JW robots are like those small drones all lit up and operating wirelessly together in an array in the dark evening sky to collectively form preprogrammed three-dimensional designs, each drone being automatically controlled by a computer on the ground. (Such as was featured in the opening ceremonies in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang, South Korea.) Those tightly controlled drones remind me of the many pawns of the Watch Tower programmed to constantly seek out opportunities to proliferate the aims of their “mother organization,” no matter what.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Shameful

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I love the spin job from the spokesman Matthieu Rozen:

"Our organization does not sponsor any proselytizing campaigns in funeral homes.If an individual is moved by love and faith to share their condolences and the Bible's comforting words with a person in grief, that is a personal choice."

Of course you do not encourage preaching in funeral homes - that would border on illegal and be highly inappropriate, even by JW standards.

However, you have encouraged people to contact grieving families in cemeteries and through reading obituaries - as noted above. We used to have an elder who would go to cemeteries all the time - I refused to participate nor would I ever recommend it. I thought it was highly inappropriate.

The lady in the video handled it very classy - she was direct and had a right to be angry. You can offer your condolences without any reference to the bible or JW.org if you care that much. The sad part is you know these people were doing this all in the effort to get service time. Probably some poor pioneer slogging away to get some hours. I am sure that is what Jesus and Paul were talking about in the scriptures.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    lepermessiah: I love the spin job from the spokesman Matthieu Rozen:
    "Our organization does not sponsor any proselytizing campaigns in funeral homes.If an individual is moved by love and faith to share their condolences and the Bible's comforting words with a person in grief, that is a personal choice."

I noticed that too. It reminds me of the little kid whose mother has accused him of raiding sweets and he replies "I didn't take the cookies!" and all the while, he has a stash of chocolates, cinnamon buns, and popcorn under his bed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit