You Need to Heal

by TheLiberator 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

It has been awhile since i posted. But I wanted to say a few things that may help those recovering from the Watchtower, especially if you have just discovered TTATT. It is with humility that I come here to express these thoughts. The Liberator (also known as Vinman previously) often would talk much of the Bible. I would see people hurting and I wanted to fill their void. I even tried promoting a non-high control group that had similar beliefs as JW's. As a deeply indoctrinated overzealous witness, I quickly set out to find answers to my questions and I tried to channel my former zeal into my new belief system. I hadn't even recovered myself, but was trying to help others.

My enthusiasm though was not real. I felt that if I displayed that kind of attitude, the feelings would eventually kick in. I attended my Bible study group and continued studying the Bible online. But everytime I came home from that group, I felt very depressed and lonely. I would try to read the Bible and it would have the same affect. I studied about five hours everyday for almost two years trying to find answers. Of course I found many answers. But the truth is, you can find any support for whatever opinion you want online.

My older children are out and they just now started celebrating all the holdays with my two grandchildren. The fact is, while I was still in limbo, trying to figure things out, my children were far happier than me. I just couldn't figure it out. I almost went to a therapist. But a friend of mine sent me a link that helped me see my situation.

What I learned and had to be painfully honest about, is that in the Watchtower, my God was the Watchtower. I didn't consciously know that, but it is typical cult mind control. That was the real problem.

As I read the Bible, I couldn't get the Watchtower out of my head. God's voice and Bible characters mimicked the Bible dramas of the society. When I attended my small church, I knew why I was there. I was replacing the Watchtower.

If you are a born-in, you were put into this claustrophobic box that controlled your thoughts and actions. You never chose that box, your parents did. Now I escaped from that tiny box and found great freedom. But the problem is, you are now in a bigger box (Christianity). The painful truth is, you never chose that box either. Some feel they must remain in that box to prove that not all leave God after the Watchtower. It is a form of pride.

But the situation is far more complex than the Watchtower portrays it. IT IS TRULY A CULT. It finally hit me that I was still recovering. I can't help what I feel when I read the Bible or attend a study group. I don't want to feel this way. God knows I tried. But I am a victim of spiritual abuse, and I can't let pride take over and act like I stood by God's side after Watchtower and everything is fine. I have been lonely and lost since leaving. The cult had left its mark on me. It is what it is.

If I continue on this course, I will never feel happy. I will feel like a "weak witness" who is not pleasing the gb, but never begins to live either. In addition, what has driven me in this direction, ironically, are the things that should of helped. I appreciated Berean Pickets website, but it made things very confusing. Everyone spoke of their beliefs with much certainty. You can't do that. It is ALL opinion. I also realize, that while I would have died for the Watchtower, I do not have the certainty to be killed by ISIS. No way would I die as a Christian for them.

I will never bash the Bible or Christianity. I have no reason to. Besides, I could be very wrong. I must remain humble. I do not want a title, such as agnostic. No need for that. The point is, you do not have to polarize yourself. This is not just about God, it is about you. The human brain can only handle so much.

I am a "mentally sick" victim of a cult. YOU MUST ALLOW TIME TO PASS IN ORDER TO HEAL. It is vital that you do not claim ownership to the larger box. You need to let go and realize that you can CHOOSE that "box" later. But, now IS NOT THE TIME. IT IS A VERY IMPORTANT PART OF THE HEALING PROCESS. It is not my fault that I was dominated by a cult for 44 years.

So for the sake of healing, I have just text my children, telling them that I want to fulfill all of my childhood dreams through the eyes of my grandchildren. They are three and one years old. I want to fully embrace Christmas, Halloween, July 4th, you name it. I want to visit haunted houses on Halloween. We will go through the haunted house at Disneyland. We will run through corn mazes. I will celebrate birthdays. I will do a good deed and say "Merry Christmas". I will fulfill my oppressed desires to watch horror films. 2017 will be a good year. I will see the happy faces of my grandchildren who will experience color in there life and not that gray dreary overcast of a witness knocking on doors on a holiday. Grandpa will be a real grandpa that will be loved.

I have no fear of my choices. I do not have to be a death oriented Watchtower automaton. Life and death happens no matter who you are. We are all in this together. We are a part of a greater community.

I am not alone now. My children and their wives and grandchildren are my friends. By embracing this reality and not fighting the healing process, I am lonely no more.

DO NOT RUN FROM THE WATCHTOWER INTO THE BIGGER BOX. Your exit is your birthday. You simply have not lived yet. YOU NEED TO BE IN CHARGE OF ALL CHOICES. I never believed in my life that i would draw this conclusion. I now have greater respect for many here on this site. Especially those that don't speak with such certainty on matters that are open to various interpretations and opinions.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

But the problem is, you are now in a bigger box (Christianity). The painful truth is, you never chose that box either.

[...]

DO NOT RUN FROM THE WATCHTOWER INTO THE BIGGER BOX. Your exit is your birthday. You simply have not lived yet. YOU NEED TO BE IN CHARGE OF ALL CHOICES

Very well explained, and so true. It applies to all of us. Thanks for sharing.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes I agree no need to run into other belief systems. Catch up on childhood first, with holidays, horror films, family fun whatever we were denied. Otherwise we get stuck in the mindset of a child with a longing for fun and freedom.

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

Not sure if I have got your point here - But I am interested in what you have raised.

Just a question.....If you intend to embrace theses previously "missed things" like Xmas/ Birthdays/ Halloween/ Valentines etc etc are you not simply taking up in the boxes of the originators and inventors of these above things all over again? They too are / were in boxes of belief systems - So like the little Russian Matryoshka Dolls you are still inside one of them who is still in another etc etc etc.?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

YOU MUST ALLOW TIME TO PASS IN ORDER TO HEAL.

Thank you so much for your post. I have posted time and time again, especially in this forum, that a lot of ex-JWs and poeple who are questioning their faiths tend to focus too much or exclusively in believes, doctrines and teachings of the WT versus other religions. When you read the posts, almost all use knowledge and not feelings as a way to remove themselves from the WT's negative influence. Your post is very well appreciated.

There was another post that mentions a person that has been out for decades and decided to return to the JWs. I mention that post because that is a good example that although what I quoted from you is on point (I myself took almost two decades to be in a place where I can feel OK with my relationship with the JWs), there more to do, which is something that I feel I need to point out out of concern for others being mislead.

• Yes, takes time, but yes, it also takes work on yourself, that is
    • Understanding that the WT has made a negative impression in your life
    • Understanding that the negative influence of the WT has affected the way we thing, the way we make decisions
    • Understanding that the WT's negative effect of the WT makes you doubt yourself, feel bad, even ashamed, of trusting your own instinct.

I mention this because decades can pass and if those things are never addressed, there may not be much or any healing.

I also mention this because in your post you mention that you chose not to seek professional help. I highly recommend seeking professional help from professionals who understand the effects of high controlling, highly demanding groups, such as the WT. That worked for myself really well.

Neither approach is wrong, nor better than the other. I think it's relevant, in the spirit of healing, to know that there are options available out there.

Again, thank you for your post.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

IT IS TRULY A CULT.

Yes it is. I was in denial about that even after quitting meetings and Field Circus until I (finally!) read Combatting Cult Mind Control. JWs are a "poster child" for cults! It simply cannot be "coincidental" that they do everything perfectly when it comes to Mind Control. TTATT will set you free! . . . . Doc

• tiki
    tiki

I relate very strongly to your observations, liberator. The religion has very serious and long lasting damaging effects. I live with them and fight them perpetually. Every part of my being was so defined by the scruples of that religion...breaking free is exhilarating but does leave one at sea in so many ways....

• Tapioca
    Tapioca

YOU MUST ALLOW TIME TO PASS IN ORDER TO HEAL.

This is so important. oh my, we look at the "wasted" weeks, months, years, decades...we become impatient. TIME is not our enemy. It is our friend. Unfortunately, we have so many TIME constraints that we sometimes want to throw them off in order to be free. But there isn't any telescoping (shrinking) our basic needs for introspection and healing. We have to do the work. We have to take the time.

TheLiberator, you are so doing the right thing! Have fun with those grandchildren! Take all the time you need and allow others around you to see how much you are enjoying this time...YOUR TIME. In order to heal. Cheers!

• cobweb
    cobweb
    Not sure if I have got your point here - But I am interested in what you have raised.
    Just a question.....If you intend to embrace theses previously "missed things" like Xmas/ Birthdays/ Halloween/ Valentines etc etc are you not simply taking up in the boxes of the originators and inventors of these above things all over again? They too are / were in boxes of belief systems - So like the little Russian Matryoshka Dolls you are still inside one of them who is still in another etc etc etc.?

What matters is that these are opportunities to enjoy life and bring people together in a positive way. Most of the big celebrations, no matter where you live on the planet have a basis in the passing of the seasons. The rebirth of the sun, the harvest etc, have celebrations attached to them. Naturally, when people believed in supernatural forces they would associate these natural events with the gods. So if you want to think of the origins of everything you will find this.

I went to a great Diwali celebration once in India where they threw around fireworks in a rather alarming way, but everyone enjoyed themselves. This is called The Festival of Light and is it associated with the darkest time of year where a light festival acts to challenge the darkness. There are gods associated with it. It is a fun time and enjoyed by all besides those who want a good night's sleep.

Or what about the Hindu Holi festival which is again, a seasonally based celebration of rebirth and spring. They throw around brightly coloured paint at each other which I imagine could be fun. Again Gods are attached but, these are the same seasonal celebrations that exist everywhere. In Thailand they have Songkran - which i was lucky enough to go to - where they have massive water fights everywhere and everyone is carrying water pistols and buckets. It is basically the same thing as Holi and happens at a similar time of year to mark the same event. rebirth. They have different religious beliefs associated with it.

My point is, why does it matter? These events and celebrations - in the west, it is Christmas and Easter - simply serve the same function as other festivals elsewhere. They bring people together, make them happy. They serve a certain ritual service in marking the passing of seasons. Yes, if you go back far enough there were primitive superstitious people who associated gods with the natural events. If you go back a bit further there would probably be different gods still. But why should that bother us now? Just accept it as an opportunity for joy - there's no need to overthink it. Partake in the rituals as they stand - its not important where they came from, any more than knowing the origin of the wedding ring. If you want to throw off all pagan influence then you'd have to get rid of the calendar too as all the months of the year have pagan associations.

The OP is correct. It is great you have the opportunity to enjoy these times you missed with grandchildren and I am sure you will find it healing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit