Time for the US military to do more liberating

by Zep 6 Replies latest social current

• Zep
    Zep

With the recent United States military success in Iraq, which has set the ball rolling for the liberation of the Iraqi people, it is not time to relax and sit on our asses. There are more people to liberate.

The world faces many threats. WMD could, if they fall into the wrong hands, kill millions. The SARS virus, likewise, has the potential to kill millions. But lets not forget the fact that there are problems already out there that are killing millions right now. I'm talking about lack of clean drinking water and sanitation in certain countries. I'm talking about starvation. I'm talking about diseases that we already have the treatment for.

I'm not certain of the exact figures, but its been often quoted that a mere 10% reduction in US military expenditure could bring clean drinking and sanitation to millions, thereby liberating them of the tryanny of being dead.

The worlds biggest spender on military gear, by a god damn mile, should liberate more of the worlds oppressed people by reducing military expenditure, and then divert those monies into humanitarian programs so we can kick the ass of poverty.

However, there is no reason why the US should shoulder this burden alone. The US should put up a resolution in the general assembly of the UN calling all countries to the cause. If the UN fails to act, then another coalition of the willing should be formed to do the job.

Lets not be mean sons-of-bitches like Saddam Hussein. After-all, we all know how Saddam lived a way cool lifestyle while his people lived in poverty. We all know how he spent money on his military(though it didn't do him much good) before he'd even give a red cent to lift the humanitarian conditions of his own people.Hell, we all know how he built big beach front palaces for himself.

Saddam had the means to do a lot of good, but refused. The US, too, has the means to ease the suffering of many, and not just within its own borders either. The US should lead the world in a meager reduction of military arms to lift millions out of desperate poverty. After that maybe we can get j-lo and Ben affleck, and other caring celebrities, to donate a couple of their million dollar mansions to some poor bastard living a cardboard box in NY....maybe in raffle or something....yeah...and we could turn it into a reality TV show. It would be a ratings killer. It'd sure beat watching a bunch of yuppy f'kers starve themselves in the Amazon for 40 days, and then at the end of it proclaim they actually have a god damn clue.

• Jayson
    Jayson

http://www.peacebuildersinitiative.org/peaceTalk/readAboutPeace/thirdWorldDebt.php

Bono has the right idea. But first the holes of the world need to stop fighting and embrace the concepts of democracy and rights of citizens. Otherwise no matter what we do they will kill and starve themselves. They have been doing that for a very long time.

That the USA does not give enough to help people is such bunk. (Like saying that Canada's GNP & it's aid tied into & compared to the US means crap.)

Before you go being critical of an entire Nation and the world, maybe you should go join the peace core. You know, dig ditches, wells and build some roads for all those poor poor people. Please, take Senator Patty Murray with you. Maybe if you did that for the rest of your life then you might feel better. Or better yet run for President of the United States of America. You seem to have it all figured out. How could people not see the logic of your reasoning skills. "Just fix it". "Trade in guns for water wells." So simple, "swords to plowshares." Why didn't someone think of that one before?

• Zep
    Zep

>the holes of the world need to stop fighting and embrace democracy

Well, this is a good point. But from my reading of it is that without favourable economic conditions democracy hasn't got a hope. Good economic conditions and the development of democracy go hand in hand.

Second, not all nations that are destitute are engulfed by civil war. They are just poor. No markets...zip!

Third, who makes all the weapons that feed into these little holes that fight.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

looks like we've found are very own Che Guevara.

• waiting
    waiting

Well, hey Zep!

Just saw the name & thought,,,,,,"could that be my ol' aussie friend?"

And Hell's Bells!!!! It is! At least I concluding this from your ripe ol' age around here!

Howdy!

As for your thread......didn't take time to read it (I fluster easily)

Going for coffee now - will check back later.

ol' waiting

• Jayson
    Jayson
    the holes of the world need to stop fighting and embrace democracy

Well, this is a good point. But from my reading of it is that without favourable economic conditions democracy hasn't got a hope. Good economic conditions and the development of democracy go hand in hand.

Second, not all nations that are destitute are engulfed by civil war. They are just poor. No markets...zip!

Third, who makes all the weapons that feed into these little holes that fight.

"World on Fire" is a good scholarly source on this topic. IMO

You are right Zep, you could also say that democratic process and favorable economic conditions go hand in hand. Thus, President Bush has the "Millenium fund." Sure you are going to say it's not enough. But lets see if these bastards want peace or power. Call it the "penny tax" ideology. Aid is so much cheaper than JDAM's. But I don't want to aid terrorists or evil governments any more. Some people just need killing.(Peace though Strength) If children starve then they starve as the world goes on it's nothing new. We will never be without the poor.

By peaceful means or the sword it seems a new world is forming. ~"Let's roll!"~

What peaceful democratic nations are you refering to as my term of "holes?"

Yes, who does sell the arms that they use? Facts and not bias opinions please.

• Zep
    Zep

G'day Waiting. Hows things.

enjoy your coffee! Full of heaps of antioxidants to help fight the ageing process, I hear. I cant stand the stuff myself, but i think i might have to start drinking some since i just hit the big 3 0

Jayson

I just checked out a book review of "world on fire". Judging from the review, I doubt i'd disagree with much of it at all. But i'd have to read it of course.

http://www.spiritualityhealth.com/newsh/items/bookreview/item_5635.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit