The Celestine Prophecy.... by James Redfield your views?

by anti-absolutist 9 Replies latest jw friends

• anti-absolutist
    anti-absolutist

I am just about to start the last chapter of this book, and I thought I would ask the question, then see the responses AFTER I have finished it.

Who has read it? What did you think? (without giving away too much to those who may still read it)

Brad (P.S. I will give my views later)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The conclusions drawn by the last chapter were a little goofy, but I loved the book.

It's an interesting framework from which to discuss spiritual belief.
    Coincidences are probably a better term than providence.

I liked it enough to want to find the sequel...

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I loved the book!!!!!

Here's another thread with some great points

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/49216/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/27/16195/1.ashx

Ven

• berten
    berten

It's not bad,but a bit simplistic.

I prefer the books by Robert Anton Wilson,Barbara Hand Clow,Barbara Marciniak,and David Icke.

But since the Celestine Prophecy is a work of fiction,I would like to recommend another work of fiction

Which IMO is a much better read:"The Oversoul Seven Trilogy" by Jane Roberts...

• anti-absolutist
    anti-absolutist

berten,

I have finished the last chapter and thought it was very interesting. As far as your comment about it being fiction..... the same could be said about the Bible and other spiritual books.

It may be legitimate to classify "The Celestine Prophecy" as fiction as far as in which section it is placed in a bookstore but to suggest that the power of our own minds to become a higher being should not be lost at the same time.

I used to be a dub and I think the religion is a farce, but to suggest that their guidebook (the Bible, of course) is without merit would be wrong.

It is not so much the guidebook that is the problem. It is the teacher who interprets it that can lead to problems.

Thanks for your comments, by the way.

Brad

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Sorry to stray off the subject but I haven't read 'The Celestine Prophecy'

A book i've not long finished, which I would recommend is ' Tutankhamun. The Exodus Conspiracy' by Andrew Collins and Chris Ogilvie-Herald.

The back cover says:

"What secrets lie behind the controversy surrounding the opening of the tomb of Tutankhamen?

Why did Howard Carter's revelation about the contents of papyrus documents found inside the tomb threaten chaos for the British Government of the time?

Do the papyri reveal the true story of the biblical Exodus?

Does the evidence presented in this book question Israel's right to Palastine?"

Very interesting conclusions are brought out. Well worth a read.

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

My girlfriend has that one, as well as the sequel "The Tenth Insight". She really like them; God and faith before religion corrupted them.

I haven't read either of them, yet.

~Asortafairytale

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Who has read it? What did you think?

I read both the Celestine Prophecy and the Tenth Insight about the time they were released. Since I've studied many disciplines, I could almost predict what would happen next in the book.

In the Celestine Prophecy I thought it most hilarious that the protagonist could grow from utter putz to "englightened" in a mere three days! This set the tone for that book: "supermarket enlightenment."

There is really nothing new in either of those books. It's just that the stuff that makes some sense is packaged into a nice comercially viable tale of adventure and religious interference for those attaining the end result of that adventure.

But that is the same story of countless generations, isn't it?

Farkel

• Introspection
    Introspection

I would go a little bit farther than Farkel's message in that it isn't even important that it's the same old story, it's just the fact that it IS a story.

I read this years ago when I first left, and of course it was fun and exciting - and now I see it more as a spiritual candy of sorts. The thing is, making it into a story just dramatizes it, and when you do that you end up getting caught up with the drama rather than the valuable things it has to convey. It's sort of like the milk and solid food thing. I don't say this to put it down or anything, as I said it was fun to read for me at the time - but I just have to call it like I see it.

Spiritual truths are simpler than the stories we hear about it, and getting some good feelings about those stories doesn't mean you get the truths, in fact in most cases it would appear it's missed because it's just so much fun to feel good. People will use meditation in this way. The problem is when you just want to feel better, whether you realize it or not, then you don't see through the things which cause you to suffer in the first place (or the fact that you are just doing it to feel better) - it's a bandaid in that case. In short, the form of presentation is what probably appeals to most about the Celestine Prophecy, but of course getting hung up on the form would be missing the point. When you're ready for an insight, you'll be able to see it in the most mundane places, like some clown's message on the internet.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Introspection,

: and now I see it more as a spiritual candy of sorts.

How wisely put! Succint and yet so true!

The Celestine Prophecy and the Tenth Insight are just that.

In fact, they are simple morality plays: good vs. evil: The good guys discover something that the bad guys dont want them to know. The bad guys try their best to subvert the "truth", but the good guys prevail in the end.

Deus ex Machina redux. !!!!!

The Greeks were doing this shit thousands of years ago, and now modern authors think they discovered a new game! I don't think so.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit