Parallel holidays

by Clambake 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Clambake
    Clambake

So my wife congregation had a huge wing ding on Jan. 2 complete with live band / food dancing and alcohol. Yet her company had a yearend party on Nov. 15 which she couldn’t go to because it could be perceived as a Christmas party.

I am supposed to be worried that the third century church set up a parallel festival with the winter solace to try and get pagans to convert to Christianity but they pull crap like this ?

The whole thing stinks.

I am not mad at my wife, she is actually pretty good around the holidays.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Those idiots think that "abstaining" means "the day before or after is OK." Damned fools!

In their subconscious (or "sub-conscience" as they call it) they know the "rules of men" are flawed, but they lack the spine to call bullshit on it, so they choose to live one step out-of-time with the world they envy.

Close enough for Jehovah's Sundial-like Organization!

https://youtu.be/ZrJZLs5zUtU?t=28

• talesin
    talesin

Well, it's only fair to give the young people 'something' -- at this time of year, they are on school holidays, and after all, seeing all the worldly people participate in Satan's disgusting holidays! They need to know that there can be FUN in being a Witless!

(just kidding, of course, but there is a grain of truth in that - they want to give them a little sumpin-sumpin, because it's hard watching the whole rest of the world having a great Xmas, when you are not allowed - and it's the young ones who are leaving in droves)

Bloody hypocrites!

• Simon
    Simon

We had families in our KH who gave each other presents ... at the end of December ... but they were just "December Presents". Nope, nothing at all to do with xmas. LOL

I don't blame them for treating their kids normally even if they do have to pretend it's something else.

What can the elders do? Nothing really - because they can't create a rule to cover it however much they may think otherwise.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes, it is just finding a way to get around the rules, and have some fun anyway. You know, I can't really blame them , I guess they can see as well as we can that the rules are stupid , but they have to obey if the want to get into the Kingdom........

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The Watchtower - putting the 'fun' in fundamental Christianity ...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It's a good thing they do, too.

If you don't have any fun, you're left with 'da mental' aspects ...

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    BluesBrother : Yes, it is just finding a way to get around the rules, and have some fun anyway.

That's it?
    There is a human need to have things like festivals and celebrations. All religions have them. I always thought that Assemblies were meant to take the place of Christendom's festivals. If so, most were on the dour side.

In my own family I made our wedding anniversary a family festival complete with presents and an special dinner. The human experience is that there's always a way around problems.
  • talesin
    talesin

I got a 'grading gift'. ie, at the end of the school year, a reward. haha, I would have had the living daylights beaten out of me if my report card wasn't straight A's. I guess that's a reason to celebrate? *guffaw* Anyhow, it was always an utilitarian 'gift', like a new Bible or a coat. There wasn't much 'fun' about it.

And I love your way of inclusion with the whole family celebrating anniversary and getting gifts, FTS - I always wondered why the only celebration and gifts were for parents' anniversary, and nothing else. Though it IS a big accomplishment to stay married. *j/k*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit