Animals not meant to eat meat

by Carl 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• atomant
    atomant
    Dont forget that after armageddon the birds gather to eat the flesh of the dead bodies.Just imagine billions of decomposing bodies.eewwwweee.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sir82 - "There's an old (1960's) QFR in which Freddie Franz says that razor sharp claws & teeth were there to shred 'tough vegetation' like 'coconuts'."

This nugget of wisdom coming from the guy who spent his twilight years shuffling around Bethel, muttering to his shoes.

BTW, razor-sharp claws and teeth would break on things like coconuts. You need thick, flat teeth to eat veggies, especially the "tough" ones.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Mankind was supposed to have been given permission to eat animals after the flood of Noah`s day , by GOD ,presumably because it would take some time for the earth to sprout enough vegetation for the Arks inhabitants.

So what about marine life ,? how was that affected by the flood .? The sea is full of flesh eating marine life that has apparently been going on for centuries before the flood , since creation.

The flood upon the earth would have had very little impact on the food source available under the sea for marine life.

Yet all sea life/ creatures live off the life of other sea creatures / life , just as land animals did , and that has always been the case.

Before , and after , the Noachian flood

smiddy

• Heaven
    Heaven

Soooo... when they say 'animals' are they just talking mammals? Because there are many other species that eat meat such as birds, amphibians, reptiles, fish, bacteria, insects, arachnids, mollusks, fungi...

Could you imagine if nothing ate meat what this Earth would be like? Holy crap! We'd be overrun, competing for food big time, as well as suffocating in carcasses.

• TD
    TD
    Soooo... when they say 'animals' are they just talking mammals?

No, which as you point out, makes the teaching even more absurd.

JW's and kindred groups base their view in part on Gen 1:30:

"And to every wild animal of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving on the earth in which there is life,* I have given all green vegetation for food."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Here is the WTS take on it... No comment from me.

*** g82 10/8 When All Nature Will Be in Harmony ***[extracts]

......So when God designed humans, he put them in a peaceful paradise called Eden. He made them to be at peace with the animals, with no violence or killing for food among animals or man. And humans were to keep it that way by caring for themselves, the animals and the garden paradise that they and their offspring would spread to encompass eventually the entire earth............
    ..The animals—who had a vegetarian diet in Eden, as did humans—began to live off one another, some even eating humans when possible. (Genesis 1:30) And, as a concession for his survival, man was authorized to eat animal flesh for food after the Flood.
    Yet, what about the features of animals and humans that are used for maiming and killing? Since God created a vast variety of different features, many of them could be adapted to the new situation to help in survival.
    For instance, most animals would continue to eat vegetation, as is the case down to this day. An example is the powerful gorilla, with its awesome fangs—fangs still used to rip and consume heavy vegetation. But others adapted themselves to eating flesh. Yet predators make up only a very small percent of the animals...........
    .....Keep in mind that what exists today is not what it was like in the paradise of Eden. That environment was vastly different. Many foods were likely different. Probably the animals with hardier teeth had rougher food. Their teeth were designed for that.
    Certainly there are questions that cannot now be answered about the exact conditions in Eden.
  • TD
    TD

Well I have a few comments on "Gorilla Fangs."

Snakes and spiders have fangs. Mammals (with a few exceptions) have incisors, canines, premolars and molars.

As with the baboon and sea lion, the elongated canines occur in the male gorilla only and are an example of sexual dimorphism. That they serve no real purpose in the gathering and consumption of food can be seen in the fact that the females subsist on the same diet as the males with canines that are greatly reduced in size.

Gorillas gather food with their hands, not their teeth.

Gorillas are actually very dainty feeders. No other animal except man puts more manual preparation into the act of eating.

Because canines double as weapons, they are actually a very poor indicator of diet. A much better indicator are the cheek teeth (Molars and premolars)

Gorillas possess the same dentition as humans - Nothing at all like big cats and other strict carnivores.

The author or authors of the Design in Nature series of articles had no idea what the were talking about.

• sir82
    sir82

Another thought which just now strikes me:

OK, let's suspend belief for a moment and grant that teeth and claws are there to "shred husks and tear heavy vegetation".

Even if so, what's the point in designing, say, a cheetah, which can run up to 60-70 mph, if it's just going to eat coconuts? Why would any animal have to move faster than a slow stroll?

Last I checked, the trees don't move that fast!

• Carl
    Carl

Gen. 1:24-31 Man is to eat of “every seed-bearing herb on the face of all the earth, and every tree on which there are fruits containing seed,” the corn and fruit from trees; the animals were to eat of “every green herb,” vegetables or green plants, and grass etc. So like it says in the bible animals and humans are not to eat meat . I believe he spoke no moses and gave permission for humans to eat certain meats (clean meats) animals were made to eat vegetation only I believe .

• Carl
    Carl

It's just something I've always wondered about ok i get some animals have large pointy teeth and still only eat vegetation but what about the meat eaters they must have evolved in some way . What I mean is when they were first made by god is says in bible they eat only vegetation but from then till now they have evolved in a way we're some species of animal /birds/insects/can only survive on meat and meat only .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit