Bible Error: The Hour of Jesus' Crucifixion

by JosephAlward 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

JOE ALWARD

John's account of the time of Jesus' crucifixion apparently contradicts Mark's account. Here is the evidence:

Jesus Is Crucified at 9:00 AM:

In the Jewish system of marking time in the first century, hours were measured relative to sunrise. Thus, in the passage below, the author of Mark's gospel tells his readers that Jesus was crucified in the third hour past sunrise, or at about 9:00 AM: And it was the third hour when they crucified Him. ( Mark 15:25 ) Jesus Wasn't Even Sentenced Until 12:00 PM:

The author of John's gospel says that Jesus was not even sentenced to crucifixion until the sixth hour, or about 12:00 PM noon, which means that Jesus could not have been put on the cross until sometime after 12:00 PM, at least three hours after the time of crucifixion claimed by Mark:

About the sixth hour (hektos hora)...they shouted..."Crucify him!" ( John 19:14-15 NIV)

The translators of at least seven different Bible version all agree that [ i]hektos hora[/i] means six hours past sunrise, or about noontime. Here is how they translated the relevant verse:

1. The hour was noon. (The Message)

2. About twelve o'clock noon. (Amplified Bible)

3. It was now about noon of the day (New Living Translation)

4. It was about noon (Contemporary English Version)

5. It was about the middle of the day (Worldwide English)
    6. It was about noon. (New English Translation)

7. It was about noon. (New American Bible)[/i]

I won't display the ten other versions on Bible Gateway (http://bible.gospelcom.net/cgi-bin/bible) which just show "the sixth hour" without clarification, but not one of them contradicts the conclusions of the other seven translators who say it was "noon" when Jesus was sentenced to be crucified.

Thus, out of eighteen Bible translations, seven of them have Jesus being sentenced at the noon hour, while the other ten have the sentencing being given at "the sixth hour," which according to the Jewish system of reckoning hours, is six hours past sunrise, or about noon.

Unless someone can show why the opinions of the seven different translators should be rejected, it would seem that John's account of the crucifixion clearly contradicts Mark's account.

Was John Counting Hours Relative to Midnight?Some apologists argue that the translations listed above are all wrong, and that John really was measuring time relative to midnight. This would make "the sixth hour" 6:00 AM, and a sentencing time of 6:00 AM would easily leave enough time for the 9:00 AM crucifixion alleged in Mark's gospel. However, where is the evidence that John ever used the midnight reference?

Further Evidence That John Counted Hours from Sunrise

To those who would attempt to translate "the sixth hour (hektos hora)" as "sunrise," I offer additional evidence below which shows that when John uses the phrase, "the sixth hour," he does not mean sunriseā€”he means noon.

The evidence is found in the story in John 4:5-7 of a travel-weary Jesus arriving at "the sixth hour" at Jacob's well.

So he came to a town in Samaria called Sychar, near the plot of ground Jacob had given to his son Joseph. Jacob's well was there, and Jesus, tired as he was from the journey, sat down by the well. It was about the sixth hour (hektos hora). (John 4:5-7 NIV)

What did John mean by "the sixth hour (hektos hora)"? Does it mean "sunrise," as some apologists believe, or does it mean "noon"? Readers can decide for themselves whether it makes more sense for Jesus to be arriving tired at the well at 6:00 AM following an apparently long nighttime journey, or for Jesus to be arriving at the well at noon following a long daylight journey. Does not common sense point to a daylight journey? The translators of at least six Bible versions think so. Here they are:

1. It was then about the sixth hour (about noon). (Amplified Bible)
    2. Jesus, tired from the long walk, sat wearily beside the well about noontime. (New Living Testament)
    3. It was noon (Contemporary English Version)
    4. It was about midday. (Worldwide English New Testament)
    5. It was about noon. (New English Translation)
    6. It was about noon. (New American Bible) Twelve other translations translate hektos hora only as "the sixth hour," without clarifying information. Thus, out of eighteen different translations of hektos hora in John 4:5-7, six of them have noon, noontime, or midday, while not one of the remaining twelve contradicts this translation.

Common sense shows that the translators are probably correct. Does it not seem eminently sensible that Jesus would not take a long and tiring journey at night and end up at the well at six o'clock in the morning, but rather he would take the journey in the daytime and arrive at the well at noon?

Thus, in the face of so many translations, as well as common sense, which support the view that John reported the Jesus had not even been sentenced until noon, we must conclude that John contradicts Mark, and the Bible is in error.

• no one
    no one

While I agree with you that the 2 accounts contradict, I disagree with the absolutes as to time of day.

Since, as you noted, time was measured relative to sunrise, the 1st hour begins at sunrise, or about 6:00 and ends at 6:59. This makes the 3rd hour run from 8:00 til 8:59 and the 6th hour 11:00 til 11:59. Noon would be the beginning of the 7th hour and the 12th hour would start at 5:00PM til sunset.

So, I think the term noon would be incorrect, even if it were 11:59. He could have been crucified at 11:00 by John's reckoning of using the 6th hour.

• seedy3
    seedy3

Interesting thoughts J.A.

I was also thinking this morning about the Resurection story about how many books of the bible indicate that Jesus was raised from the dead on the third day after he was buried. Correct me if I am wrong but if he was intombed after sun down on say Friday (We'll use Friday just for kicks) On the hebrew calender that is actually the begining of Saturday becasue the Jewish day begins at sundown. So he was actually buried at the begining of Saturday, he was then raised in the morning of Sunday, so he is actually in the tomb for parts of 2 days, which leads me to my point. Any self-respecting Hebrew would have caught this point, so this makes an arguement that many of the Gospels were not written by a hebrew, but by a gentile, because the Roman calender starts the day as we do now and it would then appear to be three days, by the Roman Calender, but the Hebrew calender it is only 2 days.

I dunno just rambling thoughts
    Seedy

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

JOE ALWARD

No One, I agree with your comments about the actual times. According to Mark, Jesus could have been crucified any time between 8:00 AM and 8:59 AM, according to Mark, and sentenced between 11:00 AM and 11:59 AM, according to John. Even if Jesus was crucified immediately after sentencing, there is a discrepancy of at least about two hours and one minute, and as much as three hours and 59 minutes.

Seedy, I agree that there is a problem with the number of days Jesus was allegedly in the tomb. Matthew said that Jesus would be in the belly of the earth for three days and three nights, and that obviously did not happen if Jesus was put in the tomb Friday evening, and left the tomb Sunday morning. He would have been in the tomb for only two nights--all of Friday and Saturday nights, and three days--part of Friday, all of Saturday, and part of Sunday.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Welcome back to the board, Joe! Your essays bear the marks of simplicity and truth, and always challenge us to think for ourselves on these topics.

Coming from a religion where everything was filtered and spoon-fed to us, it is nice to bite off a chunk of real logic!

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Thanks, Gopher. I've been spending time lately on The Theology Web at http://www.theologyweb.com/forum/, which opened in January, 2003. It has about 650 members, mostly Christians, but quite a few atheists and agnostics. It has about a dozen forums, much like this site. The forum there which is the parallel to the "Bible Research" forum here is called "Religion 101," and is the forum where I've spent most of my time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit