Today vs Tomorrow in the JW World

by Funchback 8 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

I am a teacher and coordinator in Brazil. The school (it's for adults) I work for requires that our students donate food (rice, beens, pasta) or clothes or toys every month. Then, at the beginning of the next month, we take all of the donated goods and deliver them to places that exist on receiving donated items.

Two months ago, we delivered the items to a home that cares for kids with cancer. It is run by the Catholic church.

Last month, we delivered the items to a home set up to help get people off the streets. This place is also run by the Catholic church. While delivering the items along with one of our students, the director invited us to sit down and explained to us how the program works. hey even had three guys share their experiences from living in the streets to helping others turn their lives around.

These places have made me think about how JWs do ZERO for the community, specifically for any who aren't part of the JW circle. They have no programs set up at all. But why?

I certainly don't believe in a Christian god, but it's okay if you do. I do care about people, though. Taken from JWdotOrg:

While on earth, Jesus fed the hungry, healed the sick, and restored life to the dead! (Matthew 15:29-38; John 11:38-44) As the future Ruler of God’s Kingdom, Jesus provided a beautiful preview of what that Kingdom will do for its subjects.

As we have learned, Jesus showed what a wonderful king he will be by feeding the hungry, healing the sick, and even raising the dead to life!

Thus the JW mindset. They ignore the part how Jesus fed the hungry and focus mainly on healing the sick and resurrecting the dead and tie it in to a PREVIEW of the FUTURE. Nothing is about the "now" except the so-called preaching work.

JWs are not motivated by what they see around them on a daily basis (homelessness, people with cancer, starvation) because that's something only God can resolve. It's more important for them to tell them how God will one day feed and clothe them.

Case in point, my cousin sexually abused my older brother who is now a devout JW. After I left the JWs, I suggested to my brother that he ought to see a therapist to help him deal with any hurt feelings or internal/mental pain). He told me it isn't necessary and that everything will be resolved in the New System. I said to him that that is well and good if that's what you believe, but in the meantime until the New System arrives, there's no harm in getting some help TODAY. His response was merely dismissive silence.

And that, my friends, sums it all up (in my opinion). The JW belief system is all about chasing a future pipe dream while ignoring the everyday issues encountered. If Jesus existed and he fed the hungry, why is it only about what he WILL be instead of what he WAS?

In the end, helping others feels good. I hope that anyone who has read this (JWs or otherwise) does his or her part to help others. Seeing those kids smiling when the donations arrived was a game changer for me.

Have a great day!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Fantastic post thanks! What a great school you work at. Yeah religion is all about the future when many people are in such great need now.

I agree helping others is a game changer. It empowers you and prevents you feeling the world's problems are hopeless. People power, it's real, it works.

• millie210
    millie210

No religious dogma will ever be able to replace first hand observation.

You wrote beautifully about that Funch.

This was always something i had a problem with as a JW. The explanation of "we are teaching them about the Kingdom and that is more valuable" didnt really satisfy my mind at all.

• tepidpoultry
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

I think the real reason for the WTS's unofficial no-charity policy is that they don't want all that effort spent helping someone out, and then have 'em turn around and not convert.

Too little potential return on the investment.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Very well said Funch. I remember an elder saying with contempt, "charity is to Jehovah like a red rag to a bull". Even though a committed JW myself at the time, I had to pity the man.

The rationale is simple enough; that the "promised kingdom" will cure all human problems but the trouble with this is that it's a complete myth just like most of the Bible.

Anything which places an ideology above the value of human life is dangerous to a happy world. Fanatical religions like JWs and extreme Islam are a source of life-anxieties not the answer to them.

Humanism, as you say Tepid, puts humanity first, not improbable gods and stupid, unfounded religious imperatives drilled into believer's minds.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I was in Peru in 2015. I saw many, many, Catholic Charities. I asked our guide if he was familiar with any charities that Mormons, JW's, or SDA's operate. He said there weren't any. They do ZERO. They are cults that are down in Latin America trying to get money from people that barely have any to begin with. It was a real eye-opener. I went thru an orphanage and community center sponsored and funded by local Catholic churches. JW's don't do JACK-SQUAT. They don't know what charity is, and feel everything should be given to THEM, and nothing given back. They have no idea how to "shepherd" a flock. ZERO.

• LV101
    LV101

Funch - your school is to be commended on it's charitable acts.

tp - that's an incredible poster -- I want one of those.

The ole Watchtower wants all their adherent's shekels, time, life. They aren't about to share with the disadvantaged of the world.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Sooooo...

...the RCC does virtually all the charities everywhere... it's genuinely trying to fix its pedo problem... it's current boss is, like, the most liberal guy on the planet... aaaaaand it's pretty much abandoned dogmatism, prejudice, and violent rhetoric...

...Jeezus (no pun intended), no wonder the WTS has such a hate-on for it.

It's become everything they wanna be, via the complete opposite way they do things. :smirk:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit