Another mass shooting, three or four hours ago.

by James Mixon 238 Replies latest social current

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    I can counter your statement of why didn't gun control laws keep france safe with why have Australia's gun control laws worked

Because its only a matter of time before some crazy jihadist pull this crap in canada, UK, australia, etc. They already have in smaller ways, now the Paris incident is going to be copied. Gun laws are like traffic laws, they work for those who obey them. One might even say killing someone with your gun in a rampage shooting is breaking a gun law. Once you become an outlaw, all the politics in the world don't matter.

as long as their are customers there will be suppliers. legal or illegal

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Are we as American's even aware of how big this problem is? Do we just not care? According to this article if we weren't allowed to talk about gun control because of a mass shooting, we would never talk about it. 1,052 mass shootings in the US in the last 1,066 days. That's 4 or more people shot per instance.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2015/oct/02/mass-shootings-america-gun-violence?CMP=share_btn_fb

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

For those that want to ban assault weapons, please define the criteria of an assault weapon. I have at my brothers house a ruger 10/22. It is a low caliber rifle mainly for possum, and other small game. However various legislation has it listed as an assault rifle. I think too many that post an opinion have no experience on guns or the fact that America gun laws are fragmented

Again define assault rifle

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

We could go back to the federal assault rifle ban that was around from 1994-2004. I personally would make all of them illegal whether bought legally before or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Assault_Weapons_Ban

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Are we as American's even aware of how big this problem is? Do we just not care? According to this article if we weren't allowed to talk about gun control because of a mass shooting, we would never talk about it. 1,052 mass shootings in the US in the last 1,066 days. That's 4 or more people shot per instance.

It needs to be talked about, but the discussion can't stop at gun control, that is everyone's answer and the reality is the problem of mass/rampage shootings is far more complicated than just gun control.

A better question is why the steep increase in incidents and fatalities? Its not that all of the sudden there is a steep increase in gun ownership. The guns may be easy to access, but really gun access only gets stricter over time while the phenomenon of mass shootings increases every damn day. Lets look at it without any bias. Guns are not causing these people to suddenly lose their minds and copy other psychos. The problem to access to guns is not in itself causing the phenomenon.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

sloppyjoe2 there is absolutely no evidence that the assualt weapon ban was effective. Non at all.

It was a political solution to get rid of scary looking black military style weapons. It had nothing to do with how guns functioned... just how they looked.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Again more semiauto handguns have been used in spree shootings since 1984 than rifles, shotguns, and revolvers put together. and assault rifles are a subset of rifles so its a really small number. Not defending assault rifles per say but know the facts, not that many people are killed with assault rifles. That's media illusion.
  • flipper
    flipper

The business interests pretty much run the US - these people at the "top" are a study in human nature - the greedy and selfish part. There is a very high percentage of sociopaths in high positions. If lawmakers won't take bribes they likely get threatened. Jesus, look how it went with the Wall St. banksters.

So good luck getting gun control here.

As for the Jihads - what is religion but escape from the realities of life? There's almost always some heaven or paradise where life is good and abundant. Big appeal for the disenfranchised.

I wish there was a better word than "terrorist". A word that combines asshole, coward, psycho and parasite...

I'm not saying it's useless to protest, work for gun laws, etc. May take a long time so better start now. But watch your back. Eyes open and stay under the radar if you want to make changes.

See how this crap happening out their affects some of us? I will now stop my rant and appreciate my peaceful little home and family.

Mrs. Flipper

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

Let's hear what the necessity or even need for allowing assault rifles. Why are they necessary to have? Why are people so against banning them? I don't understand why if it's a terror attack everyone wants to do something about it, but if it's an american doing the act, do nothing.

Here is a fact, so far america has done nothing to improve the situation and it has only become worse. People who want guns offer no solution, but say its not gun control that will solve the problem. At least gun control is an attempt at solving the problem. If you say it's not the problem, then offer a solution.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    sloppyjoe2 before we answer that question... can you do us a favor? Can you define for us what exactly an assault rifle is?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit