Living forever

by jws 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Well, for me, endlessly living without relationships to enjoy, roles to play, missions to accomplish, goals to achieve responsibilities to shoulder, things to learn, a universe to explore, or opportunities to create etc. ...would seem more like "hell" than heaven.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Village Idiot:

GodZoo, multiply 8 planets out of which 1 has life times 100 million and you'll get an idea of what lies ahead. Our little camera thrown out in space by a bottle rocket is no match for the pulse nuclear spaceships and the thousand mile wide space telescopes of the future.
    By the way, that scripture you cite is not in Psalm 27 which doesn't have a verse 39.

Thank you for pointing out the typo:

Psalm 37:29 "And the righteous ones inherit the Earth and dwell upon it for eternity.

According to the Bible we are not going anywhere..

Pulse rockets? Science fiction is called fiction for a reason.

Nuclear pulse propulsion is a common feature of hard science fiction stories, as the idea offers high thrust and/or high specific impulse drives without requiring new physics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stories_featuring_nuclear_pulse_propulsion

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

JWS - picture yourself in this hypothetical scenario:

You are only 3000 years old, are at the peak of physical fitness and are learning and retaining new knowledge every day - because your brain has the ability to remember everything clearly. Also, you have several hundred offspring - children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, etc. who are all as healthy as you are. Can you envisage a point where you would announce to all those loved ones, "I'm bored with having to live all the time, I'm just going off to end it all!"?

Life is about love, relationships, learning, and wonder!

I feel genuinely sad for all those brilliant minds who used their whole life to study and research one single subject - such as the functions of the brain - but die in old age, never having got the answers.

Nah, I think endless life would be far better than this one - having to watch loved ones' lives ending.

• GodZoo
    GodZoo
    I feel genuinely sad for all those brilliant minds who used their whole life to study and research one single subject - such as the functions of the brain - but die in old age, never having got the answers.

I agree.. but all those brilliant needed was a few hundred years at tops. Try a trillion, billion, zillion years and then some.. no subject at all is that fascinating it can keep you busy for eternity. An eternity of research and study simply working out the wonder of how everything works? That sounds like 'Awake Magazine' syndrome where intellectual research is the only purpose to living and being 'Awake' only means knowing how everything works..

Is it not often true that once you take a thing apart and discover how it actually works you remove and kill the awe and wonder of it?

'For all those brilliant minds'.. in a world where everyone will be perfect there will be no more brilliant minds as each person will have an equally brilliant mind. I can see that too losing its novelty very fast. Smart asses everywhere. 'Brilliant mind' is a relative term, invented by those that are dense and stupid. Once everyone has one there is no more brilliance but only norms.

Even being with 'loved ones' endlessly seems over rated. An eternity with the wife and kids? Really? Most people I now have trouble spending more than 24 hours with their spouses and they can't wait for their kids to bugger off and move out.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I believe I could be very happy living forever if I was healthy, safe and financially set. There are endless new experiences to have--hike a trail, read a book, try a food--when you're done with doing everything once in about a million years, start over.

I think a big part of why we lose interest is aging. Certain things are not as exciting, and they get difficult because it becomes harder to learn new complex things, or physical limitations grow.

For example, I used to think going to a club on Saturday night was the most exciting thing on the planet. Once I did that a lot and wasn't single anymore, it wasn't as exciting. If I had the physical ability to dance all night like I did back then though, and the $ to waste ;), I'd do it even now.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

If we are all perfect, living perfect lives we will have no cause for empathy, the glue that binds the human & animal family together. Empathy happens because we are soft wired to experience anothers plight as if its our own, this happens due to our mirror neurons.

With perfection, presumeably like everything we don't use, our mirror neurons would die off and all empathetic emotion wiuld cease leaving us automatons.

Do watch this short RCA vid about it

https://youtu.be/l7AWnfFRc7g

GodZoo:

We are doing that already and so far they are all lifeless, cold and dead and unable to support any form of life.
    We should also not forget that the Bible itself clearly contradicts this fantasy of space travel and galactic exploration.

Reasonably conservative estimates there are about 100 earth like habitable planets for every grain of sand on earth.

I think Villageidiots 1000 yrs is a good age . The only reason I want to live longer is for the moment when, not if, we meet our first non human sentient ( alien )civilization.

Check out this all who want to limit themselves to earth.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

GodZoo:

Pulse rockets? Science fiction is called fiction for a reason.

Nuclear pulse propulsion is a common feature of hard science fiction stories, as the idea offers high thrust and/or high specific impulse drives without requiring new physics.

Nuclear Pulse propulsion was achievable with 1950s technology (though it would have taken a couple of decades to build an interplanetary version. It is a ridiculously simple design that consists of nothing more than a massive steel plate joined to a payload/habitat section with shock absorbers.

It hasn't been built by now because of what I consider to be political reasons - a fear of the Soviet Union/Russia doing the same thing.

GodZoo:

Psalm 37:29 "And the righteous ones inherit the Earth and dwell upon it for eternity.

According to the Bible we are not going anywhere..

Even if your Bible is true that can be considered a forced interpretation. Dwelling on the Earth doesn't mean that everyone is confined to it.

Why would your God make billions of stars that are not visible to the naked eye - making the original purpose of stars moot (Genesis 1:14) - with no seeming purpose?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSK_mymJvkM&feature=player_detailpage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtaQpHBP4U&feature=player_detailpage

• Cota Samuel
    Cota Samuel

My opinion is that you cannot have fun without going further /challenge yourself. But if there is no punishment for failure there is no thrill.

There is no adventure. You cannot have good without bad. Everything would be plain boring.

• Vidiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit