River flowing from the garden of Eden

by joey jojo 45 Replies latest watchtower bible

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Hey there.

If this point has been covered before please forgive me.

I have had the principles of Noahs flood used by JW's to encourage me to attend meetings recently and this has got me musing about the flood....again.

Genesis states that a river flowed from Eden and branched out into four rivers, two of which being the Tigris and the Euphrates.

Heres the baffling part; If it had never rained before, how is it that rivers existed before the flood?!!?

A brief google search tells us that the Euphrates begins its journey as snow melt and rain ( as most rivers do) in mountains in Turkey.

Ecc chapter 1 mentions the water cycle and describes the rivers flowing into the sea but the sea not becoming full. How did it work pre-flood? Was there a constantly filling ocean?

I had never thought about a river in Eden contradicting the rainless, pre-flood world before so I thought I would share it. Once again, sry if its been mentioned previously.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Very good point no snow no melt no river. I did a lot of research on the garden of eden and found that the original stories were about a place called Deliun. My spelling maybe incorrect but anyway this garden was actually area near Kuwait near the end of the rivers not the beginning.

• waton
    waton
    pre-flood world jjj:

If you look at pictures of excessive rain, it changes the landscape. If the 40 days Noachian rain flooded Mt everest, at the rate of 8 meters an hour, what would be left of a fertile plot like Eden? The Colorado river of Grand Canyon fame has reversed directions in it's life time. The rivers are older than the mountains, so:

The bible is a story, the wt saga is a story about stories, Think outside that narrow envelope, a suggestion.

added: maybe there was no rain where the first bible documents where written, but it rained,- snowed in many place.(think Glaciers covering Europe, North America.)

of course, any Eden worth it's name would have hot springs,- right ? water coming up, not down.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Yes just one of the 1000 + stupid religious contradiction in the bible.

But NOWHERE in the bible - NOWHERE does it say It never rained before the flood. NOWHERE.

• stillin
    stillin

Actually. Did anybody really say that it didn't rain at all before the flood?

• waton
    waton

Gen. 2:5,6: "-- God had not made it rain upon the ground -- but a mist would go up from the Earth and it watered the entire surface of the ground. 7: and God formed man --"

Make no mistake about it, it was a mist, in case you missed it, Your word is truth: Up to the time of humans,~ 6000 years ago, no rain.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

On another note 800,000 years of ice core samples from Antarctica would indicate that the Bibles completely wrong on this subject.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Because God. That's the answer to anything nonsensical.

• baker
    baker

And how did a man stay alive inside a fish underwater for 3 days too?

• steve2
    steve2

And how did a man stay alive inside a fish underwater for 3 days too?

Simple, really: He stayed alive because it didn't rain in the fish's belly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit