free literature

by Beanie 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Beanie
    Beanie

My mother in law informed me that the mags, books, bibles etc.. are now free over the counter. (You put a donation in the box). Apparantly this dispels the notion that the WTBS is only out to make money. Any thoughts on this? So how would they cover costs?

Beanie

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

It would appear so, but in fact it is quite opposite...
    first, you should check, why did the society chose to
    offer its literature "for free"...check this out

http://www.paulblizard.com/jimmy.html

compare that with BOE letters, sent to elders in 1990.

http://www.dirtclod.com/yappa-ng/index.php?album=BodyOfElders//Literature&

(if the link doesnt work, copy - paste it)

• izobcenec
    izobcenec

this is a summary of what really happened:

• Early 1980 State of California informs Jimmy Swaggart Ministries that tax is due for religious books and tapes sold in the state since 1974. Swaggart eventually pays the tax--$183,000.00--but sues for a refund. The case begins moving toward the U.S. Supreme Court.
    • February, 1989 U.S. Supreme Court rules it is illegal for Texas (and 14 other states) to exempt religious books from sales tax. Some states had been taxing religious books all along.
    • Summer, 1989 WT Society gives away "free" books released at U.S. conventions. Witnesses are instructed to place donations in contribution boxes to cover the cost.
    • June 22, 1989 Watchtower Society, files amicus curiae ("friend of the court") brief with U.S. Supreme Court in Jimmy Swaggart case. Others filing similar briefs include National Council of Churches and Society for Krishna Consciousness.
    • January 17, 1990 U.S. Supreme Court rules against Jimmy Swaggart Ministries, declaring that the sales tax must be paid.
    • February 9, 1990 WT Society writes letter to congregations announcing that literature will no longer be sold at Kingdom Hall and no price will be set in door-to-door distribution.
    • February 25, 1990 February 9th letter from Society is read at Sunday meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses across the United States.
    • March 1, 1990 New policy of distributing literature without naming a price goes into effect.
    • The March 15, 1990, WATCHTOWER magazine and March 22nd AWAKE!--printed earlier--still say "25 cents (U.S.) a copy" and "$5.00 (U.S.) per year." The April 1, 1990, Watchtower no longer carries a price.
    • March 11, 1990 Announcement is made at Kingdom Halls in the U.S. that food will be available at no cost, on a freewill donation basis, at JW conventions.
  • asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

That was right when I started going out in service. What a mess that was. At the conventions and assemblies that year and the next, every friggin' 10 minutes the brothers on the platform were reminding us we were supposed to donate for everything. You could just tell they were sh*tting their pants, afraid they were going to go in the hole!

*I* think that they thought they'd get more money out of their loyal JW-bots. And I think Bethel was very unpleasantly surprised that 'Jehovah's loyal followers' stiffed the organization as much as they did!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit