An unexpected Dad

by Unexpected_dad 6 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Unexpected_dad
    Unexpected_dad

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a Jew, not ex JW. As a practicing Jew its sad to see hebrew scriptures, distorted and used by non-hebrew people hijacking my Bible (Jw), then used to justify their pedophile actions. Having said that, sometimes I even believe in God, but in Judaism belief is not a requirement, and blind commitment to any "ultimate" truth is not a Judaic concept. We question everything.

I am an unexpected dad because 3 1/2 years ago I met my daughter. I need to be careful to maintain her identity, but she is the most amazing kid I ever met. I am in communication with her parents when needed. She is ex Jw, basically shunned/shamed by her parents and community who "love her so much, and just want to be w her in the earthly paradise" But of course that can't happen because she is gay. Pulled out of school when she came out. Suffering the the shame of being rejected by her whole Jw community. Her father was demoted in whatever upper roll as a Jw that he had, and she was eventually booted from her house. When she was a child she was repeatedly drugged and molested by her Uncle living in the home and apparently some big-wig in the church. Apparently the uncles son found out and wanted in on the action, so then she was repeatedly molested by her cousin. She finally cracked and it came out. No police were called, and it was decided to be handled by the elders (which I believe is what the uncle was and still is). Someone leaked the info to the police, but the pschychiatrists decided it would be too traumatic at this point for her to testify. When I first met her, she was broken, suicidal, and with no car after almost losing her life in a car crash. No way to get to school after having paid the whole lump sum that she saved up with all her own money. After the car crash, they put her dog in a kennel, and she couldn't get it out until she could pay. All this in a different state from her familly and support network. One reason I believe more strongly in the possible existence of a higher power is that somehow, at just the right moment the universe brought us together when this poor girl, crying, was trying to throw out her trash at the dumpster at night at the exact same time and my parental instinct kicked in and I was astounded how this kid just survived a car crash, and where were her parents for God's sakes. Why were they not immediately on a plane. Im still not sure what happened but somehow the universe gave her a 2nd dad, and gave me a more wonderful daughter than I ever could have amagined. She calls me her dad, and tells a her friends im her dad. Since then ive become a champion for the LGBT cause (im not gay but, now having a gay daughter, I can tell you She was BORN that way and is divinely created to be the person God made her to be), and supported her search for her own spirituality no matter how different than it is from mine. Now don't get me wrong, she can be an all out stinker like any kid her age, but she is my daughter. Of that there is no doubt. It amazes me, that I'm not related to her in any way, and think she is the best daughter when her very own biological parents reject her. As jews we practice Tikkun Olam, repairing the world here now, not hyper focused on some future paradise that probably won't even happen. If I ever thought my faith considered fealty to the devine more important than love for ones family, I would drop Judaism in a heartbeat. To me hell would living in a future when you realize you traded your daughter for a fake ideology. One time in the hospital where she found out she had a kidney stone, and just had another rejection text from her bio parents, she was crying and grabbed my hand, and she squeezed and said the most peculiar and wonderful thing. She looked me seriously in the eye and said, "Dad, I hope you know I need you as much as you need me.". It made me cry. What a tough wonderful kid.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

Welcome Dad!

Being Jewish you are at somewhat of an advantage. It's been instilled in you to question "truth" and outside of orthodoxy your heart is usually wide open. But you should also question anything instilled in you because there is no specific journey towards the future you can take that will give you more than the life you lead now.

You are expressing it in your words already. Embrace unconditional love. There is nothing better you can ever experience in your short time on earth.

Keep your love and admiration for her healthy. It will be hard to let go when she forges ahead on her own path.

Thank you for sharing your touching story. Thank you for loving a young ex-JW.

• oppostate
    oppostate

Well, you certainly seem to know about JW life pretty well, how old is your adopted daughter and how long have you known her?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Pulled out of school when she came out. Suffering the the shame of being rejected by her whole Jw community. Her father was demoted in whatever upper roll as a Jw that he had, and she was eventually booted from her house.

Man that's just plain sick.

I hope you give her the love and support she deserves and needs which wasn't given to her by her JWS parents.

Religions that were established 3000 years ago aren't going to be up to date to modem known acceptance of human sexuality in view of human rights.

I had a gay brother who was extremely ostracized being a JWS in a JWS family.

I can see what your daughter could possibly go through.

If you were born a homosexual being in the JWS religion in a JWS family that's really a bad place to be.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Oh by the way I do think your right about the JWS stealing your religion away from whom it originated with but men who are seeking out their own power are known to deliberately attached themselves to almighty one.

The reality is these men who started this religion were nothing but false prophet charlatans who ran their own publishing house.

• Unexpected_dad
    Unexpected_dad
    To answer Apostate: when I met her she was old enough to buy a beer, and that was 3 1/2 years ago as i wrote. Her age doesn't start with a 3 yet, but in that direction. I dont want so say much more than that without her permission. She has endured enough already.
  • Unexpected_dad
    Unexpected_dad

@ "the girl next door". I know, its tough, lol. We have lived just doors from each other for 3 years, and she moved away with her GF recently and I am trying to adjust. I prepared myself in the beginning that no matter how much I love her, she has to grow up to live her life. She is now less than 20 min away, and in my mind that is like 300 miles, but I am so proud of her, and love that girl, and it hurts lo let go, but im not actually letting go. Im helping her fly on her own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit