Sparlock Toy

by NotFormer 9 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I wasn't around when the Sparlock thing hit about 11 years ago, but it became such a meme that that debacle still gets mentioned from time to time. One thing that came up in conversations of the time was about how dumb the name was; that someone in Bethel could have come up with a less lame name. I think that that Bethelite was trying to be clever by using "warlock" as the stem and dropping the "w". I just haven't figured out why he might have used "sp" instead of some other consonant/combination of consonants to replace the "W". πŸ€”

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Maybe Sparlock is supposed to be a member of the Spaghetti Monster cult?

"Sp"-aghetti..."Sp"-arlock? It looks like he might have a little bit of spaghetti on his hat🀭...

• Ding
    Ding

I assumed it had something to do with its similarity to "Spock."

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Spock is a good thought πŸ€” As I said above, I saw "warlock", but perhaps we had a very nerdy Bethelite given free rein and revelling in a short moment of creative freedom πŸ™„

Lol: Flying Spaghetti Monster! 😸

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

To be fair it's a clever name. Sparlock is specifically called a "warrior wizard", (fight=spar), spar+warlock.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I didn't think of sparring. That's a pretty good interpretation. And yes, pretty clever, as you say.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt
    YesπŸ™‚ I agree!
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

Everything Sparlock is here (archived website):

https://sparlockthewarriorwizard.wordpress.com/

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I wonder if Groening was having a lend? I can't find any reference to it being an actual episode beyond the rumours. If it had been real, there would be clips of that episode all over YouTube, I'm guessing. Maybe it was an April 1st joke by Groening that wasn't reported on until later? πŸ€”

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

A different thread about it suggested that it was very "The Onion" in style. It's written too much like it's by an exjw. The Simpsons wouldn't risk defaming a GB member of a minor religion with deep pockets. And the Simpsons viewing public would have no idea who or what was being lampooned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit