Remember that WT masturbation video? Who is the sign language person?

by FatFreek 2005 21 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Alive!
    Alive!

Thanks - you just reminded me of a NO moment when I realised that given the opportunity to encourage deaf people - with all their challenges, the best the loving org could come up with was a couple of guys mimicking masturbating.

Insulting beyond belief - and then I thought, are they taking the piss out of us??

• Dunedain
    Dunedain
    OK, guys, i just watched the video, lol. WTF was that? First of all, can someone PLEASE tell me, is this an ACTUAL Watchtower video? Or is this a joke? Or did someone compile a bunch of clips together? What is/was the purpose of the video? If it IS aWatchtower video, does anybody know what they are saying, or what the point is of it? Lol, i appreciate it.
  • LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Dunedain... That video is TRUE. lol WT actually happily produced it. It came on here 3 years ago in the summer. We all laughed our heads off. It is hilarious.

LL

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

DUNEDAIN - Go to Lesson 22 on the Org's web page and you'll have the evidence for future reference.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/?contentLanguageFilter=ase&pubFilter=lv&sortBy=1

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    You guys have this video all wrong. Masturbation is not prohibited. It just needs to be done after a prayer wherein you ask Jehovah for his blessing before you stroke one out. Also, it shouldn't be done on meeting nights. Geez. Do I have to explain everything around here?
  • rebel8
    rebel8

IIRC someone did identify the names of the interpreters a while back.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/235152/wts-made-video-about-masturbation-sign-language-gestures

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    OK, guys, i just watched the video, lol. WTF was that? First of all, can someone PLEASE tell me, is this an ACTUAL Watchtower video? Or is this a joke? Or did someone compile a bunch of clips together? What is/was the purpose of the video? If it IS aWatchtower video, does anybody know what they are saying, or what the point is of it? Lol, i appreciate it.

It is an actual WT video. It was the ASL translation of the WT study article. The WT study article in English was very explicit. In ASL, things are very literal so the translation of that article looks disturbing to those that are not in ASL. To be fair, the ASL translation of that article was no more disturbing to a deaf person than the English or other spoken language article was to a hearing person.

To those who are unfamiliar with ASL, the gestures appear crude but they are a part of the ASL vocabulary. I'm not sticking up for the org for publishing that article. They probably shouldn't have published it in any language.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dunedain: If it IS aWatchtower video, does anybody know what they are saying, or what the point is of it?

Subtitled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JBwiUFdRQ

• Watchtower-Free
  • cultBgone
    cultBgone

tim3l0rd is correct about this, ASL is not a word=sign translation and some signs require gestures that are very animated, and not just the sign for masturbation.

While the sign was repeated over and over and over in the spoof video, it was clearly not that way in the original ASL video. By ASL standards, the WTS videos are properly and respectfully done.

The most important point here is tim3l0rd's comment that the WTS article (and the resulting ASL video for the deaf community) should never have been published in the first place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit