Another hypocritical meme

by neat blue dog 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Some JWs reposting this recently on Instagram:

I wonder if they'll have some cognitive dissonance next time this happens on JW Broadcasting.

• Tobyjones262
    Tobyjones262

I don't know what that even means. They don't help the poor or anyone. Rarely do they even really help other JWs. Sure they will drop off a pot of chicken soup once in a while when a JW who attends most every meeting is sick and they like them, but other than that they don't help. Unless you call giving a homeless person a watchtower.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It reminded me of the numerous slick videos they've made of Bethel celebrities making appearances in natural disaster areas, coupled with the victims made to give testimonials about how "God's Organization" saved the day.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Perhaps the Org should open the book and disclose how much money is allocated to feeding poor and sheltering the homeless.

I speak against myself on this, but i recall stepping over a few homeless people to get to the next house, during field serve-us.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

It's a dig at those who actually do help the poor, that's how it comes across to me.

The meme: "When helping the poor, leave the camera at home."

Translation: "You only help the poor to take PR shots and look good in the eyes of others."

The meme doesn't rest on a firm foundation for two reasons.

First, as other posters pointed out Jehovah's Witnesses do very little formally, collectively, officially, for the poor, yeah, sometimes they help rebuild somebody's house after a hurricane or tsunami, but to my knowledge that's Brothers (and Sisters?) volunteering their labor and materials, I don't remember from my reading of Branch Organization (2015 edition) the Governing Body letting Branches put their funds towards that sort of thing, they just arrange volunteers to go help people displaced by the disaster. Other than that, I don't know of any "humanitarian" efforts on the part of Jehovah's Witnesses. Sure, they teach a few people English or help them learn to read or write but they don't do that as a stand alone service the same way a Unitarian church offers a free breakfast once a week with no strings attached, they offer those "services" to convert the people they help (and yes, they do help those people in small ways). The point being, it takes a lot of nerve to criticize other religions for helping poor people when the faith you belong to barely, rarely, lifts a finger to help them.

Second, we all know the Governing Body loves photo ops, I bet you good money www.jw.org right now in the Newsroom section shows one or more of them standing and smiling next to some person or persons displaced by a natural disaster. Yep, just checked: here's Geoffrey Jackson hanging out with a "sister in Okayama who was affected by the flooding that devastated western Japan in July 2018." (https://www.jw.org/en/news/jw/region/japan/witness-bring-relief-flood-victims/).

Just another person who wants to feel special even if they're dead wrong.

• unsure
    unsure
    Someone should post back, "If you ever actually help the poor, leave the literature cart at home."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit