Is the UN now out for greed?

by Jayson 2 Replies latest social current

• Jayson
    Jayson

U.N. santions on Iraq are still in place. Why? The threat of Saddam is over. Even France sees the light and Jean Marc de La Sabliere has proposed that the santions be lifted on Tuesday. Yep, France is siding with the USA. But the UN is not so sure that it is ready to do that. They still get 2.2% commissions on every barrel of oil sold. That's right folks while we all talk about the children in Iraq that are dead the UN made over one BILLION dollars off of the carnage. Russia also does not want to see Iraq enter the fray in full capacity. Hyper inflated oil prices has been a boon for the country And with UN Security council veto powers Russia could keep the santions in place regardless if the threat has been eliminated.

Even Simon says that people should go before profits and I agree with him on that. Once the oil for food program ends so does the money train for the UN. Oh but another reason that the UN was not to quick to want Saddam removed from power. It would put them out of the "commissions for oil" business. The Security Council of the UN should listen to the French. It would be another horrid blunder to allow this failed policy to continue. IMO

Source IBD. 4/23/2003.

• Simon
    Simon

While it's easy to have the UN appear almost as some other country, the reality is that it is just the combination of those who vote.

So far, it has always been the US and UK who have scuppered any lisfting of sanctions.

It will be interesting to see who votes what the next time the vote is raised.

• Jayson
    Jayson

It is such a good point that you make Simon

While it's easy to have the UN appear almost as some other country, the reality is that it is just the combination of those who vote.

I am glad that you say this. The UN represents governments not people.

I am not going to go into the options of recontainment cause its of no consequence now. I think that the Security council had no interest in lifting sanctions as a body. Its unfair to single out the US UK when all were prospering from the oil for food program. "There are no angles" even the UN itself got a billion to keep for itself while allowing Saddam to starve his own people.

It will be interesting what happens next. History is being made my friend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit