What does it take to become an elder?

by sandy 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• HoChiMin
    HoChiMin

Sandy;

Big puckered lips and a brown nose, I'm sorry to say are quite accurate.

Minimun;

You slime, how dear you give out the chanting secret. You also forgot the WT legal dept. has the letter hover around the room for several days to see if the spirit is strong enough.

HCM

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Those meetings always had a hard edge to them

Maverick, You are right there mate!

I have never been able to convey to my wife the deep chasm of difference that exists between the life of the rank & file and that of the elders. It is a whole different ball game.

Macho, chauvanistic, political infighting, face saveing, are words that come to mind. The peer pressure to conform to the group psycology are enormous.

• gumby
    gumby

Chocolatecones, I

would say the requirements are a pair of puckered lips and a brown nose.

Thats pretty much it. Be regular at meetings, regular in service for starters. Make sure your quotas are up to par.....then...... ........be one of the last to leave the meetings and one of the first to get there. Talk to the publishers where the elders see you have an intrest in others and that they like you. Next.....when the CO comes around.....work with him in service and put your name on the list to feed him. Get in tight with the rest of the elders......especially the PO. It will also be helpful if you start making really deep and meaningfull comments that surprise everyone. If you do all these things........there should be no problem...........unless they don't like you. Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

Today, I was approached by an elder as to whether I ever turned in my ELDER book, because the CO might want to have it when he comes next month. I told him that I haven't seen the book in over a year and had no idea where it was.

• gumby
    gumby
    I told him that I haven't seen the book in over a year and had no idea where it was.

Were you lying Minimus?

• minimus
    minimus

Nope. I have it buried in my car's trunk, I think. But I haven't read it since I quit being an elder. If they harrass me for that stupid book, I'll tell them I just can't find it( and if I do locate it, I will store it in a better place).

• nowisee
    nowisee

i remember a conversation i had with another female pioneer. we were bemoaning the fact that women could not serve in oversight capacities in the cong., we could only go as far as our husbands in traveling up the ranks.

well, in listening to blues bro and maverick, i really think we were spared. if the average jw rails against all the responsibilities and burdens placed on them, it must be multiplied many many times for the elders. i would think it would be very difficult to maintain your equilibrium in those circumstances.

and how many elders do not live up to the requirements?

it must be a relief for the exes to be away from all that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit