Short Term Thinking

by hippikon 5 Replies latest jw friends

• hippikon
    hippikon

What are some of the results of the short term thinking the WTBTS has espoused over the last hundred years. I know with myself I put off buying or even saving for a house, I put of medical treatment, didn’t save for retirement. I know of Kingdom Halls that were dangerously built/modified with short-term goals in mind. Many now are paying the price of short-term thinking.

I think one of the great tragedies of mankind is short sightedness. As a species we should be planning ahead 200 or 300 years instead of 5 or 10 and not counting on God to come to the rescue.

Your input would be appreciated

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• pamkw
    pamkw

Short sightedness is one thing that makes me so angry. My mother lives in a very abusive situation, but she stays because the new order is coming. She says it doesn't matter if I am unhappy now, Jehovah will fix it pretty soon. She has been married to an awful man for over 30 years. But still she waits. It will all be better in the future.

it makes me sick
    Pam

• Flip
    Flip
    What are some of the results of the short term thinking the WTBTS has espoused over the last hundred years.

Results? For starters, how about a substantial compounded, year over year, rate of return on their tax-free real estate and paper investments.

Don’t get me wrong; I don’t think that’s all a bad thing…the WTBTS laughing all the way to the bank.

Now that the WTBTS can confidently afford it, maybe the Brooklyn “bean counters” will spend more time tending to their financial bonanza, and less time thinking up ways to trash the lives of, and accumulating less Jehovah’s Witnesses in pursuit of financial Nirvana.

Flip

• terraly
    terraly

I agree that short-sighted thinking is a huge problem for humanity in general.

This is one of the reasons why I think that science extending our life-times (eventually out to immortality perhaps) will be a good thing. What could we all become- what great tasks could we undertake without fear- if we knew we were going to live forever?

I think it was Heinlein who proposed in his Sci-Fi stories that mankind is in it's adolescence right now, and that it is only when we can stop worrying about death, start thinking about the <i>forever</i> version of the future that we, as a race, will finally grow up.

Sadly, of course, it is this beautiful hope for sanity and peaceful existence that the WT warps into a short-sighted "forget everything, push, push, push, the end is coming, you'll have time to relax later."
    Once again, something correct (the good humans could do, I think would do, if we had perspective about the future), warped into something evil (the Watchtower).

• stephenw20
    stephenw20

I thought that was the point......

they ~think~ so you dont have to............

you give up your self , who you are, the independent thinking you were given the day you were born...and just say

TAKE ME I AM YOURS>>>>>while they wont say "I AM SAVED" they sure act in the way........

an elder once said to me... "well if they told me to get out on my roof @ 2am....I wouldn't listen"......

I have my doubts ......based on other just as ridiculous held/enforce beliefs.....

• crossroads
    crossroads

Pam-I can relate-my mom lives with my dad whom she
    HATES. Oh they are both JW's[she's the good one just
    ask her]. Us kids have been trying to get them apart for
    sometime now-so they can at least have some kind of
    happiness in there old age.

Mom's line I'm enduring to the end Jehovah will fix it.
    My line-I hope he hurries up so you can make this man's
    life miserable for eternity.
    Mom with that JW deer in the headlights look. For my dads
    sake I'm glad to know the org. is full of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit