My hero, my Japanese sister (or slight possibly brother ...)!

by TheOldHippie 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Awake!, May 22nd, 2003, "From our readers", translated back to my poor English, under the subheading "Single-parent families" (referring to a set of articles in Awake!, October 8th, 2002:

"I was left alone with my son and daughter 14 years ago. I want to thank you for the work you put into your publications, but I was disappointed at certain parts of this set of articles. For example, it was repeatedly written about "succeeding" and "achieving good results". I feel that I have done the things suggested on page 11, but I have achieved no results such as the mother pictured on that page did. Succeeding is not just a question of having your children become full time pioneers or missionaries or not. M.S., Japan."

Now ain't that a beauty? And because the letter was printed, I am sure they must have got quite a few similar ones, and so made a few comments to soothe the angry crowd.

I raise my glass to my beloved and extremely brave Japanese sister!

• unique1
    unique1

Awesome. I am glad a parent finally feels that raising good kids, that are not be missionaries, bethelites or pioneers, is still succeeding!!! I personally am a disappointment to my parents for that very reason.

• LDH
    LDH

What was the answer from the "Editorial Staff?"

Lisa

The Elders will be visiting her soon, Class

• outnfree
    outnfree

Yes, please, OldHippie, tell us what the Editor's answered.

I told the elders once that assemblies/conventions were becoming discouraging rather than upbuilding for me, because there were never any symposium experiences that mirrored my experiences. Three kids, husband not in the 'truth', having a hard time getting the kids to sit still for family Bible studies, let alone volunteer to go out in service (pioneering? Bethel? hah!)... Sometimes a "single parent" would raise SuperDubs, but I always thought that if I were the ONLY adult in the household, things would be easier, spiritually speaking. My husband's rule that the kids only need participate if THEY wanted to undermined my mission as the "spiritual head" of my household. I had to guilt my kids into just about everything. And I thought myself a big, fat ZERO and cried when that song about youths imitating Timothy and the nameless Jewish girl would be played on Friday afternoon.

Sure am glad the Japanese sister dared to write. I am VERY happy with the children I raised (so far ).

out

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Upon these multiple requests by people who obviously no longer subscribe to the magazines, shame on you, here is what the Editorial Staff replied:

"We are aware of the fact that succeeding can be measured in various ways. Our aim was to give practical solutions to single parents to help them tackle challenges in life that can take their courage away, and to assure them that the hard work they do, is not in vain. We gave examples of youths who are in the full-time service, to show that single parents have succeeded in raising their children to become god-fearing people. We hope that all parents - single and marrried - continue to cover their children's spiritual, emotional and psychic needs."

In other words, god-fearing means being in the full-time service. But, I repeat, the letter from Japan was printed, and she surely was not alone in writing. Small drops like these give me a certain hope for the future. For my part, I am preparing a letter on the drugs' magazine, April 8th.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Chairman Mao used to allow a critical letter to published every now and then. It gives the appearance of freedom of expression.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

He did, before they were beheaded. Still, this letter had a different ring to it that made me raise my head up erect and think to myself that the end has drawn near ................

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit