Regarding changes and my poor mother!

by username 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• username
    username

Well I just got off the phone with mother (thankfully she has no part in the shunning policy) and she thinks the changes are "marverless" this I would imagine is the general consensus of most hardcore rank and file! She is even investing in a Roku device so she can watch more indoctrination programming.

To be honest I wouldn't even try make her think, because she has far to much invested in the cult. Our brother died at the age of 21 and our dad is no longer with us either so she is living for the hope of seeing them again. As a descent human being, there is no way I would be able to take her away from that thinking.

Sometimes we have to let go and respect the persons belief system. The hard truth is, it is very rare that we can wake a person up, especially if there is emotional investment. We have to hope that one day something comes along and makes them think something is not right.

Sometimes we need to put ourselves in there position, if there is a certain amount of emotional investment, in my opinion, trying to wake a loved one up could be more harmful to that loved one than beneficial.

• Simon
    Simon
    Sometimes we have to let go and respect the persons belief system. The hard truth is, it is very rare that we can wake a person up, especially if there is emotional investment. We have to hope that one day something comes along and makes them think something is not right.

:thumbsup:

Exactly - it's why I believe that attempts to convince people it's not the truth are largely doomed to failure.

Most of the people who leave only do so once something happens to them or someone they care about.

Ask yourself - why didn't I leave sooner than I did? Why didn't I check all the facts at an earlier point?

It's not lack of information - the WTS can't suppress access to things on the internet. Yes, they initially tried to dissuade people but I think they realise now they don't have to.

Why are there still JWs ... and Mormons ... and Scientologists?

Because those people are not there because it makes logical sense. They are there because it's their lifestyle and religion is the opium of the people.

They only leave when the drugs don't work anymore.

That's why it's important to focus on helping the people who want to leave and not positioning ourselves as the enemy.

Sometimes we need to put ourselves in there position, if there is a certain amount of emotional investment, in my opinion, trying to wake a loved one up could be more harmful to that loved one than beneficial.

I remember chatting with someone online many years ago and it was a single mother with 3 or 4 children, one of them severely disabled and she was so thankful with how the local congregation were all so helpful to her. Did I want to tell her that didn't matter and she should leave anyway? For them and her it was working how it probably should.

• tornapart
    tornapart

I totally agree. I tried it with my elderly mother when I first discovered TTATT and it didn't work. I suppose I expected her to at least give it some thought, but no, it just upset her. I didn't try again and if ever she brought it up I just said it was best we didn't discuss it again as I didn't want to upset her.

My best friend is recently starting to awaken but it has taken some personal issues for it to happen. She told me that she couldn't understand where I was coming from when I first told her how I felt. Now certain things have happened to her she says she understands me now. I really think this is it, it takes something to happen to each individual, a seed may be dropped in their mind that starts to grow when they actually see it for themselves.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Many are happy zealous and don't experience any injustice. Why rock the boat.

It's the depressed and angry JWs that are suffering that will feel liberated by TTATT.

Kate xx

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

I finally figured that out. In the past year I've have 8 jw friends die and they died happy and peaceful believing they would wake up soon.

The family is also very happy they are going to see them soon in the paradise. They never had any conflicts in the organization.

That's just the way it's going to be. Most jws are very happy in the organization and will stay there till they die. No child abuse, no new light, no blood policy or shunning will cause them to leave. And they will put up with all the meetings and field service and conventions.

There's really very little we can do to help them get out of the cult.

• goingthruthemotions
    goingthruthemotions

I am with you, i don't even try to talk with my wife about any of the shite from the BORG. if she brings it up..i try not to response. it only ends up in an arguement.

i have better things to do than waste my time arguing.

but, i do hope she opens her eyes one day and see's it for what it is. " A CULT"

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am reading a book that was mentioned here a few days ago called Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me. It explains why people tend to stay with a decision, even when they come across contradictory information. The more they have invested in a decision, the more they defend it and resist information that doesn't mesh.

They took two groups of college freshmen and put them through an initiation into a fraternity. One group had an easy initiation, the other group had one that was much more difficult. The difficult group were much more enthusiastic about their fraternity, more dedicated to it and less likely to notice or mention faults than the other group.

This is why it's so futile to attempt to get someone to leave the Watchtower, mist have too much invested. Most people have given up a lot to be JWs, this fact alone binds them to the religion, even when it makes no logical sense. It takes something fairly drastic to make a JW consider leaving the group. They have to be treated very unfairly, or have a family member treated unfairly, or face a personal crisis of some sort.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I finally figured that out. In the past year I've have 8 jw friends die and they died happy and peaceful believing they would wake up soon. The family is also very happy they are going to see them soon in the paradise. They never had any conflicts in the organization. That's just the way it's going to be. Most jws are very happy in the organization and will stay there till they die.

They choose to take the Blue Pill. It is easier. Dear Geezus and Mother of God, how I wish sometimes that I had never awakened to TTATT. I had all the answers. Everything was black and white. I was Special. Chosen. Saved.

Now I realize I wasted all the best years of my life believing in BS Pipe Dreams and building up a huge nest egg of cash for a Scam of Religion, vs, building up a decent retirement nest egg for me.

Doc

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

LisaRose - "I am reading a book that was mentioned here a few days ago called Mistakes Were Made, But Not By Me."

Good book.

It actually helped make my fade easier, because after reading it, I realized that I did not actually have a great deal of emotional and intellectual well-being invested in the WTS, despite the fact that I'd been a JW all my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit