A new member

by Kurteousmaximus 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Welcome! You will find alot of support here while you sort out things in your life. There are many here with different belief systems, as well as those of us that are still trying figure it out.

Stick around, take your time, search topics, ask questions.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Welcome Kurteous!

Just take it slow and read through the different topics and experiences of the members. You'll get a lot of good information on how to proceed and live a good Christian life. If that's what you desire. If not, you'll also find information on how to just live life.

Wish you all the best!

• clarity
    clarity

Good morning from Canada Kurt ....a big welcome goes out to you. Glad you found jwn. All of us here are very different but the ONE thing that is the same is our experience with a high control, dangerous cult.

Start researching everything that troubles you ...if you haven't already. Many of us thought that it was ourselves who were weak, or wrong ....... we were so deluded ........ it is the other way around. Watchtower's deceit is legion .....they have blood on their hands.

Love & best wishes for you & your family's enlightenment.

clarity

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Welcome! I hope this forum can be as much help for you as it's been for me. You'll quickly learn that the love of the greater number has certainly not cooled off.

You're far from alone in this. So much of the cult is designed to cause people to self destruct after they leave. They strip you of normal coping mechanisms and fill your head with self-fulfilling prophecy of failure if you leave. It can take a lot of concerted effort to really rid yourself of it all, but it's worth it.

If your job has an employee assistance program (EAP) you might look into using that to get some time with a therapist. Or perhaps insurance or just paying out of pocket if you can afford it - it would probably be worthwhile. I know it's helped me in dealing with my exit. Someone with cult experience is probably good but not totally necessary.

Or hell, if you ever just want to talk to someone who can relate to the cult background, feel free to PM me on here. And remember - living well is the best revenge! Take care of yourself and enjoy life. Figuring out god and religion and all that stuff can be taken slowly...no need to rush into anything.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome Kurteous! Glad you joined and posted. This can be a great place to get support, advice and sometimes feedback we need but don't always want. I hope you have a good relationship with your mom, you said she was df'd but not if you two are close.

You asked for ideas. I say start by sorting out your feelings by reading threads about what is going on in some other's lives which may help give you some perspective and maybe even get a counselor (in the real world) to help with the self destruction you mentioned.

glad you posted and can't wait to hear more about your life and why you left at such a young age. God for you not wasting your entire life in the borg.

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    Kurt......hiya. (((((((hugs))))))). Welcome aaaaand breath.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Good morning and welcome!

It's not uncommon forpeople to still be influenced in a negative way even years after leaving a destructive religion like the JWs, so you are not alone in that. It's hard for those who have never been involved with a cult to understand why your problems don't just go away because you left. It's good to be around others who have gone through the same thing who understand why it's just not that simple.

Thereus a lot of good information here, also support and friendship, so pull up a chair, sit down and stay a while.

Lisa 🌹

• Giordano
    Giordano

Welcome Kurt!

At 15 your brain is not fully formed....... it takes the mid 20's before a person is mature enough to deal with all the complexities of daily life.

Sorry that you have continuing issues. Some professional therapy might be something to consider......however in my opinion everyone I've ever met could use some therapy including myself. Reading about others who have had to deal with their own JW related problems and life's issues can also help.

Just knowing that your not alone can work wonders and trying to help others is an investment that pays off big time.

I liken this place as part gym, the kind of gym that increases your brain power and strengthens your emotional health and part pub where every one knows your name.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Welcome! I left right before my 16th birthday, too. I hope you are able to put that experience in its proper place. It does feel a little heavy in your life for something you "put behind" you at 15, doesn't it? This place might help you get some perspective.

Welcome again!

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Hi Kurt, welcome! I hope you tell more of your story here. What led you to disassociation at 15? What in your life causes you to become derailed every so often? I sincerely hope you have not felt bad about yourself all these years, that you may be 'bad' by nature. Growing up witness is not a healthy way to grow up. Feeling that you have to stick so closely to these very narrow parameters that define what it is to be a 'good' person. To me you sound like a very good person. I think you are ready to open your heart now and move on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit