Governments & JW Organization

by Jayson 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Jayson
    Jayson

Do you think that the Nation that you live in gives "cults" like The Jehovah Witnesses to much lean way, just right, or not enough? Meaning protection from prosecution, tax breaks, freedom to operate, ect; If could make them, would you want any changes?

• Jayson
    Jayson

Pathetic that I am talking to myself but here goes,

I find it unworthy to pursue the issues of cults and mind control only after someone is trapped. What about being proactive? Silentlambs is an example of being proactive. In reading Steven Hassans book "Releasing The Bonds" most of his research is only going after those that are gone. And massaging memories of the person that used to be "precult" . Well, what about the person that has always been "cult?" What about preparing people before they encounter the cult. Even when talking about what quantifies a problem or danger is shrugged off as irrelevent. To say the term "evil" is to be termed unhelpful at best. The book talks about recovery talking years, over decade, if there ever really is a feeling of complete wholeness again. I am certianly no hero. And never have been babtized or, even a regular JW; maybe I should just shut the hell up.

When I read the Bible the character of Jesus was not a pussy. He did not hide in the shadows using lying & propaganda. Nor did he give a shit what the "elders" of the time thought of him. Yes his life's story ended badly; but he ended people's torment in a single speech; a kind or frank word. He never compromised his principles. He was not afraid of what people thought of him. In fact it seems that he was so frustrated that people usually just did'nt get him.

Ever get frustrated when people just don't get you?

• rocketman
    rocketman

I think some poeple are trying to help others avoid cults. I think that efforts to identify cults and educate peopel about their tactics have a dual benefit to both those trapped in them and those who have not gotten involved in any.

As far as the place where I live, yes, there is a lot of religious freedom in the US, and I'd be very hesitant to tinker with that.

• Maverick
    Maverick

Remove all tax considerations, worldwide! Most of the cities in the US are in deep financial trouble. Property taxes alone would put an infusion of cash in local governments. The WatchTower is a corporation and each K-hall is one too. Make them pay corporate taxes! Even at a flat-rate, say 10%, that would help alot. I know this guy who became an ordained minister and sold trips to the holy land. He bragged about what a racket it was, and how he loved to take widows on these trips, especially the young ones! Maverick

• mattnoel
    mattnoel

Yeah the JW's here in England get good tax benefits as they are registered as a Charity - I think this should be removed and they should adopt the French way of 60% tax.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit