Jesus resurrection-fleshly or spiritual?

by Stan Conroy 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stan Conroy
    Stan Conroy

What do you think? I hear strong arguements that it was a fleshly body that was resurrected, but how then do you explain Thomas not recognizing Jesus, or appearing in the locked room? If it was spiritual, then is it really a resurrection, and if not, what good was it?

Stan

• Francois
    Francois

There is a belief among some people that Jesus' resurrection was spiritual only, and that due to his super-duper powers (remember he made the entire local universe), he was able to materialize a physical body any time he pleased. Not being a slow-learner, he always included the nail holes and the gash in his side when he did this so as not to disappoint Thomas. Not only that, since the frequency range our eyes can see is so limited, we can't see spirit creatures. So when he wanted to be seen, he had to conjure (pardon) up a physical body; in order to be recognized it had to look like the one he had previously. Sheesh.

Really. I don't see what all the hubbub is about. If the guy can create an entire universe of things and beings I feel sure he can come up with one corporeal form for his spirit to inhabit for as long as he needed it.

This argument has all the significance and import of the one about how many angels can dance upon the head of a pin. (Answer: None. It is quite well-known that angels are all Baptists.)

francois

• hooberus
    hooberus

Jesus walked on water, with his fleshly body, before his crucifixion.

Phillip (Acts 8:39) was transported away in his fleshly body.

These examples show that the fact that Jesus appeared in a locked room does not disprove his having flesh.

Luke 24

[36] And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
    [37] But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
    [38] And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
    [39] Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
    [40] And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

I may return in a few days to post some more answers.

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Stan,

When I read the account of Thomas seeing Jesus, I think it is clear that Jesus was himself, nail marks and all. He is also able to walk through walls.....so i always concluded that he was raised as a 'spiritual body'. Hmmm, I hope that's right. He did say that spirits do not have flesh and bones like he did.......so I guess he wasn't a spirit..... but regular bodies can't walk thru walls but then again, regular bodies can't walk on water either like he did when he had a flesh body. Unless of course you are Peter and Jesus is with you, until he loses faith and goes under. It's also amazing to read about how he prophesied that he would raise himself, when he spoke of raising the temple of his body. The bible says that "he opened their eyes" when the 2 guys were walking on the road when he appeared to them. They did not recognize him at first because they were blind. Only he can open our eyes.

Francois,

You are on the money my friend. Jesus is able to do all things.

• Rob Bowman
    Rob Bowman

Dear Stan,

Given your question, you may be interested in a radio broadcast that I will be hosting tonight. The radio program is called the Apologetics.com Radio Show. Tonight, we will be discussing the Jehovah's Witnesses' view of Jesus' resurrection as a spirit creature. Our focus will be on addressing the question biblically and on understanding the significance of the question (in other words, what difference it makes).

Apologetics.com Radio is on the air every Friday night/Saturday morning from 12:00 midnight to 1:00 a.m. Saturday (Pacific Time) on 99.5 FM KKLA in Los Angeles. If you are not in the L.A. area you can listen via the Internet at http://www.kkla.com. We take live phone calls at 1-888-LA-TALKS (1-888-528-2557). Archives of the broadcasts can also be found at http://www.apologetics.com/.

• Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.
    Holey_Cheeses*King_of_the juice.

Sounds like a good promotion - Can I book some advertizing space? or, maybe you would like an interview with cheeses.

cheeses - To quote Mark Twain, "I was born modest, but it didn't last long."

• hooberus
    hooberus

The flesh that was resurrected is the same flesh that he possessed before his death.

Jesus received his physical body from Mary, a decendant of David. Thus he was of the seed of David. The scriptures teach that after his resurection that he is still of the seed of David, hense it is the same flesh.

Acts chapter 2

29] Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
    [30] Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
    [31] He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
    [32] This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.

Romans chapter 1 (compare this with 2 Timothy 2:8)

1] Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
    [2] (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)
    [3] Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;
    [4] And declared to be the Son of God with power, according to the spirit of holiness, by the resurrection from the dead:

2 Timothy chapter 2

[7] Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.
    [8] Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:
    [9] Wherein I suffer trouble, as an evil doer, even unto bonds; but the word of God is not bound

While it is the same flesh, it exists in a glorified state.

Philippians Chapter 3

[20] For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
    [21] Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit