Cult or Religion

by Richard C B 225 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Stealth
    Stealth

We probably should give Richard a break if he is indeed young. The brain of a 14 year old is not fully formed especially with regard to higher critical thinking skills.

That said, I don't know many 14 y/o who know who Columbo is.

Richard, continue to ask questions and read up on cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias because that is what cults exploit in followers. You have demonstrated that here.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Howcultswork.com

If you go to this website you will find that the Watchtower meets every criteria they list. Not that this particular source is the absolute authority on cults, but it's hard to deny that the Watchtower uses the techniques listed there.

Most people think to be a cult means everyone has to live in a commune and wear distinctive clothes. While some cults do that, what defines a cult is the methods they use to retain and control their members that makes it a cult, not the outward appearance.

While you could say every religion is a cult, most mainstream religions do not engage in these practices:

Information control. The Watchtower discourages its members from seeking higher education or reading literature that is critical of the organization. They constantly warn about the dangers of so called apostates, saying they are bitter and angry and tell lies. Any former member who criticizes the Watchtower is considered a "bitter, angry apostae". Most religions have no problem with higher education, reading things not endorsed by them or even talking to former members, even if they are critical of the church.

Relationship control. JWs are discouraged from seeking relationships outside of the organization, they are absolutely forbidden to talk to disfellowshipped former members. The vast majority of religions have no such rules.

Deception. Does the Watchtower tell new recruits that they have incorrectly predicted the end of the world numerous times? Do they tell new recruits they will be disfellowshipped for celebrating Christmas? That they will be expected to shun their children if they do not choose to be JWs if they were ever baptized? Most religions are open about their beliefs, practices and history.

Fear and intimidation. The Watchtower claims to be the sole channel of communication between God and mankind. To disobey them is equated with disobeing God and will result in death at Armageddon and shunning by family and friends. Most churches have no problem if you leave their church and join another. While some may believe in hell fire or that they are the only true church, not all do.

Reporting Structure. Jws are encouraged to report transgressions they know of to the elders. Things told in confidence are shared with other members, judicial committee are formed, the Watchtower is informed in all cases of serious sin, a record is kept on file for years. Individuals are controlled by the elders, the elders report to a circuit overseer, they report to the Watchtower. Meeting schedule and content are tightly controlled by the Watchtower. Kingdom Halls are no longer owned by the congregation, "mother" decides which halls get built, which are sold (all profit to the Watchtower) which get remodeled. Most congregations on other religions have much more autonomy, membership often decides to builds the church and decides who will be their pastor. That pastor decides the content of sermons each week and tailors his services to the needs of the congregation.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

People who leave religion want to call every ex-religion a cult.

A cult is an organization with a charismatic leader like a David Koresh or Jim Jones that is wayyyyy outside the mainstream and controls every action of their people, completely isolating them from the rest of the world.

If the JW's are a cult than so is the Catholic Church, the Born Agains, Southern Baptists, etc., etc.

Just because you don't like a religion doesn't mean it is a cult no matter how many times you might call it that.

I think people have forgot what an actual cult is.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Richard is either 14 or he sounds like he is because he's been denied an adequate education.

Richard, hon, learn the rules of debate if you want to engage in one.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Mad Irishman:

What happens to people who decide to leave the "Catholic Church, the Born Agains, Southern Baptists, etc., etc." is completely different than if you try to leave the JW's.

Their extreme control over members and how they treat former members is what makes them a cult.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    Mad Irishman, Are you Richard's dad?
  • cofty
    cofty
    If the JW's are a cult than so is the Catholic Church, the Born Agains, Southern Baptists, etc., etc.

Yep. And your point is?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Mad Irishman, I think it has already been stated (I know I said it)

ALL RELIGIONS ARE IN FACT CULTS

But some excel at bad deeds, ie how you are treated for leaving. Witness are harmful, exercise undue control, and are coercive and dangerous.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    I think people have forgot what an actual cult is.

Not all cults have a charismatic leader, although the Watchtower was originally led by Charles take Russel, who was considered a charismatic leader in his time.

I think you need to educate yourself on what a cult is. Absolute isolation and control describes some cults, but not all, what makes a cult is the things they do to control their members as described in my post above, and you can't deny the Watchtower uses control, deception, intimidation, relationship control and a clear reporting structure.

No member of a cult believes they are in a cult, that is part of the deception. But if a group teaches that they are the only path to salvation, tells you who you can talk to, encourages members to report bad behavior and hides their history and practices, then they are a cult, no matter if they have a single leader, or a body of leaders, or what clothes they wear. Those are surface trivialities.

If it walks like a duck.......

• Richard C B
    Richard C B
    @ scret I bet youve spent the last 10 hours trying to think of something witty to post,, we applaud you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit